Accepted but still in a dilemma = /

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seamonkey Doc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Good news: I got into dental school, yay! :)

Not that great of news: I got waitlisted for my top choice, my in state school. The school I got into is nice but really expensive. :thumbdown:

I contacted someone from my state school in order to ask if I could do anything to increase me chances of getting accepted. This person first advised me to retake the DAT because my scores were below the school's average. However, when I pointed out that only my PAT was below the average and the other scores matched the school's average, this person told me that she mixed up my scores with someone else and that I was a good candidate but I could still consider retaking the DAT. This school's average GPA is around 3.5, and average DAT scores are 19 (PAT and DAT). My GPA is 3.3 and my AA and TS score are 19 and PAT is 17.

Does anyone think that retaking the DAT might help me out? I'm a little worried that if I score even slightly lower on one of the sections (for example, I got 21 on Ochem last time and I score a 20 this time), that that will really hurt my chances. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

First off, congrats on being accepted! Is there a deadline for when you should reply to the school you got accepted to? Wait it out until the deadline. I think your scores are good, but thats my opinion. I would pay the fee and accept to the dental school and when your top choice accepts you then you can make your decision. The acceptance fee, although alot, will still be far less when comparing it from living in state and out of state.

I would not retake. You're already accepted and invited to the dental school party. Deposit at the school, and pray every night you come off the wait list at the other!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not that great of news: I got waitlisted for my top choice, my in state school. The school I got into is nice but really expensive. :thumbdown:

I contacted someone from my state school in order to ask if I could do anything to increase me chances of getting accepted. This person first advised me to retake the DAT because my scores were below the school's average. However, when I pointed out that only my PAT was below the average and the other scores matched the school's average, this person told me that she mixed up my scores with someone else and that I was a good candidate but I could still consider retaking the DAT. This school's average GPA is around 3.5, and average DAT scores are 19 (PAT and DAT). My GPA is 3.3 and my AA and TS score are 19 and PAT is 17.

Does anyone think that retaking the DAT might help me out? I'm a little worried that if I score even slightly lower on one of the sections (for example, I got 21 on Ochem last time and I score a 20 this time), that that will really hurt my chances. :confused:

The dilemma you speak of is self inflicted. Isn't it a bit late to be contemplating retaking the DAT at this stage of the game unless you want to reapply next year? The opinion given by a "person" in the ds is worth a heck of a lot more than 1000 opinions from SDN.

Like everyone else said, you're gambling if you turn down the dental school you're accepted to. There's absolutely no guarantee you're going to get accepted to your state school or anywhere for that matter. Pay the deposit for the expensive school and pray you get off the wait list for the state school. That's the only sensible option you have. No point in retaking the DAT now or even thinking about it.

If you were scared off by the expensive dental school's price tag and never intended to go, why did you apply in the first place?

Thank you for the responses :)

I already put in a deposit for the school last week. Another deposit is due in early April so I hope to hear something by the end of March.

The dilemma you speak of is self inflicted. Isn't it a bit late to be contemplating retaking the DAT at this stage of the game unless you want to reapply next year? The opinion given by a "person" in the ds is worth a heck of a lot more than 1000 opinions from SDN.

Perhaps I should have clarified... The person from admissions told me yesterday that I could consider retaking the DAT in order to boost my chances for THIS cycle. She said February would be an acceptable time to take it and still be considered for this cycle. Prior to this, no one had told me that I should consider retaking the DAT.

Like everyone else said, you're gambling if you turn down the dental school you're accepted to. There's absolutely no guarantee you're going to get accepted to your state school or anywhere for that matter. Pay the deposit for the expensive school and pray you get off the wait list for the state school. That's the only sensible option you have. No point in retaking the DAT now or even thinking about it.

If you were scared off by the expensive dental school's price tag and never intended to go, why did you apply in the first place?

To answer your last question... I like both schools, and I believe I would happy at either of them, which is why I applied to both. If I was outright rejected from the state school, I would've shrugged it off and gone with the expensive school. But because I was waitlisted, I was just wondering what I could do. If I do not get off the wait list, then I will be glad to go with the school I already was accepted into, even if it means more expenses.

To answer your last question... I like both schools, and I believe I would happy at either of them, which is why I applied to both. If I was outright rejected from the state school, I would've shrugged it off and gone with the expensive school. But because I was waitlisted, I was just wondering what I could do. If I do not get off the wait list, then I will be glad to go with the school I already was accepted into, even if it means more expenses.

Try to speak to someone else from the school and see if you can do anything else about this. Retaking the DAT, being nervous, wasting $320 and still getting rejected from your state school would suck. But it would also suck to go to the more expensive school and overpay by like a 100K.

I would try to find someone else to speak to and see what other options are available, if any.

Perhaps I should have clarified... The person from admissions told me yesterday that I could consider retaking the DAT in order to boost my chances for THIS cycle. She said February would be an acceptable time to take it and still be considered for this cycle. Prior to this, no one had told me that I should consider retaking the DAT.

Hmm this does change everything. Well, do you feel like you can do well with about a month of studying? lol

If it was me, I'd say not really. I'd be afraid of bombing it or a section and looking worse off. I'd gamble that I would get off the wait list and if I don't, then it wasn't meant to be. No need to stress yourself and go nuts to take the DAT just for a chance at being accepted at the state school. If she guaranteed me acceptance with a higher DAT, I'd sign up on the spot.

Try to speak to someone else from the school and see if you can do anything else about this. Retaking the DAT, being nervous, wasting $320 and still getting rejected from your state school would suck. But it would also suck to go to the more expensive school and overpay by like a 100K.

I would try to find someone else to speak to and see what other options are available, if any.

If you cannot get satisfaction from a lowly staff/adcoms, go to Dean of Admission, then the President of the University, then.... until they change their minds.

If you cannot get satisfaction from a lowly staff/adcoms, go to Dean of Admission, then the President of the University, then.... until they change their minds.

I always wondered what made you so miserable...hopefully its not your job satisfaction.

Last edited:
It is just my personal opinion, and this is coming from a person who got accepted to 5 schools and didn't need to deal with a waitlist, that I would not deal with any wait list games. My friend last year was on "High Hold" with Nova, they couldn't even contact her again to let her know she was rejected. This year, I got waitlisted at Columbia after my 5 acceptances, I replied within 5 minutes saying to withdraw my app.

If I were you I would not play waitlist games by re-taking the DAT, which takes time and money. You realize this is just a game...the time it would take to study, get your new scores sent, get your app re-reviewed, etc. What if they took you off the waitlist and called to notify you WHILE you were sitting for the DAT again? Or what if they took you off the waitlist in August once practically every piece of paperwork is complete for the other school?

I know this is worth a lot of money, and it's tempting, but it's also the type of hoopla and hijink you shouldn't have to jump through.

Hey everyone,

Good news: I got into dental school, yay! :)

Do you mind if I ask which school you got into and which one waitlisted you?
GPA is 3.2 and my DAT is the same as you . But I am not getting anywhere.
I really hope you get into your state school:)

Do you mind if I ask which school you got into and which one waitlisted you?
GPA is 3.2 and my DAT is the same as you . But I am not getting anywhere.
I really hope you get into your state school:)

I got into NYU (the expensive school obviously, ;)). I'll PM you my details on the state school.
When did you submit your materials? Some schools are still interviewing, and I know that Tufts starts their interviews later (like Nov) and end in March or something. Thank you and good luck :)

Last edited: