Sep 16, 2015
8
0
Status
Pre-Medical
I was accepted into a medical program. They have given me a 2 week period with which I am to make a decision. I have applied to other programs, and have completed their secondaries and awaiting to hear from them regarding the decision to grant an interview.

Is it entirely appropriate to request an expedited review of my application from the other programs? I am happy to attend the program I got into.

Thanks.
 

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
23,144
32,679
Status
Academic Administration
Is this an MD program in the US? Had you applied "early decision"?

Something about this is not adding up.
 

LuluLovesMe

Membership Revoked
Removed
Nov 5, 2014
1,304
1,442
Status
Medical Student
I didn't know this was a thing. What school is it?
 

Noomm

Account on Hold
Account on Hold
Aug 7, 2015
185
120
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm gonna guess it's either Northstate or a DO school
 

NotASerialKiller

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
1,457
6,866
Status
Medical Student
If you plan to have the ability to breathe and write cheques in a few months time I think you're okay to let this fantastic and not at all life ruining opportunity slip away for now.
 
  • Like
Reactions: davisfenos and Goro

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
32,804
12,551
The Other Side of the Portal
I was accepted into a medical program. They have given me a 2 week period with which I am to make a decision. I have applied to other programs, and have completed their secondaries and awaiting to hear from them regarding the decision to grant an interview.

Is it entirely appropriate to request an expedited review of my application from the other programs? I am happy to attend the program I got into.

Thanks.
Do you have to send a downpayment to hold your spot? Is it refundable? If it's not, can you afford to "donate" it to the school if you get a viable offer from a US school?

US med schools all have their own internal schedules and are highly unlikely to expedite their review of your file based on your request.
 
May 5, 2015
415
506
Status
Medical Student
I can totally see this as an attempt by the Carib school to poach stronger candidates by forcing a decision and forgoing the rest of your US apps in fear of having nowhere to go come August.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Spinach Dip
OP
U
Sep 16, 2015
8
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Stats as in metrics? 27 MCAT, 3.6 GPA. Extracurriculars include volunteering medical and nonmedical, research including 3 publications, and various shadowing. Goal is getting into trauma.
 

LuluLovesMe

Membership Revoked
Removed
Nov 5, 2014
1,304
1,442
Status
Medical Student
If you plan to have the ability to breathe and write cheques in a few months time I think you're okay to let this fantastic and not at all life ruining opportunity slip away for now.
How can you possibly say no to living on a beautiful resort island while studying for medical school with rotations in the US?? Just open up your checkbook now and start packing your bags. LMCE accredited med schools are for people who don't like to work hard and have fun like Caribbean students. /s
 
  • Like
Reactions: Goro

LuluLovesMe

Membership Revoked
Removed
Nov 5, 2014
1,304
1,442
Status
Medical Student
Stats as in metrics? 27 MCAT, 3.6 GPA. Extracurriculars include volunteering medical and nonmedical, research including 3 publications, and various shadowing. Goal is getting into trauma.
You're a very strong candidate for DO schools and would be a viable candidate for MD schools if you retook the MCAT and scored >512

Drop that school.
 
OP
U
Sep 16, 2015
8
0
Status
Pre-Medical
You're a very strong candidate for DO schools and would be a viable candidate for MD schools if you retook the MCAT and scored >512

Drop that school.
I would have to wait until April 2016, and my current job is a one year contract.
 

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
24,112
39,978
Status
Attending Physician
I was accepted into a medical program. They have given me a 2 week period with which I am to make a decision. I have applied to other programs, and have completed their secondaries and awaiting to hear from them regarding the decision to grant an interview.

Is it entirely appropriate to request an expedited review of my application from the other programs? I am happy to attend the program I got into.

Thanks.
Do not pay a deposit for a seat that will always be there!
You can get into a DO school with those stats this cycle.

No one is going to give you an expedited review; especially when it was requested because of a decision that calls your judgement into question.
 
OP
U
Sep 16, 2015
8
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Do not pay a deposit for a seat that will always be there!
You can get into a DO school with those stats this cycle.

No one is going to give you an expedited review; especially when it was requested because of a decision that calls your judgement into question.
Makes sense. I'll hold off on doing so then.

Thanks guys!
 

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
53,543
78,726
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
And another career saved by the superheroes at SDN. You've done good, people!
:clap:
 

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
23,144
32,679
Status
Academic Administration
$100k? Pretty sure it's way more than that. Correct point though.
Maybe it averages $100k when you factor in the point at which the average student washes out.