Accepted + Gap Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoctor1995

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone
I recently got accepted into 2 DO schools and I am in my gap year and I don't know how to utilize my time wisely. I have a couple of anatomy and medical physiology books already, should I start studying those early so I am in my routine of studying? Should I get a job? I don't need any more scribe or clinical hours since I already got in some of the schools. Any help would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Enjoy yourself! This might be the only time in your life where you won't have any serious obligations for an entire year. Relax, have fun!

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone
I recently got accepted into 2 DO schools and I am in my gap year and I don't know how to utilize my time wisely. I have a couple of anatomy and medical physiology books already, should I start studying those early so I am in my routine of studying? Should I get a job? I don't need any more scribe or clinical hours since I already got in some of the schools. Any help would be appreciated!

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Continuing to work as a scribe for the knowledge/experience, especially since I want to do Emergency Med (I think). I've been doing this for a while though, if I hadn't already been established I doubt I would try to start now. Also, been casually reviewing some old anatomy materials so I have a good base when I start next summer. Otherwise just cruising, taking little trips when I can, and enjoying life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't pre-study. Do the things you enjoy.

Take a vacation if possible! Where'd you get accepted btw?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're going to be paying your medical school a lot of tuition to teach you how to be a doctor, pass COMLEX, and give you the tools to apply to residency. Medical schools have been doing this for decades and know what they're doing.

Relax. Enjoy being a 20-something with lots of free time.

Relax, maybe get into a good exercise routine you could continue as an MS1, etc.

Hello everyone

Hopefully, I'll be in the same boat as you as I just submitted 9/10 and graduate this fall.

I know a lot of posters on here typically say to enjoy yourself as much as possible. I totally agree with this; however, I do plan on studying in the spring. Nothing serious. I'll read 2-3 hours a day over old textbooks and some others I've bought. I want to keep my mind in the game, not totally drop off, and start to develop beneficial habits and a routine that'll work later.

I'll definitely take a real spring break vacation and do more mini trips.

I have a couple of anatomy and medical physiology books already, should I start studying those early so I am in my routine of studying?

Hell no.

Also, been casually reviewing some old anatomy materials so I have a good base when I start next summer.

Don't. You will get nothing out of it.

however, I do plan on studying in the spring. Nothing serious. I'll read 2-3 hours a day over old textbooks and some others I've bought.
Don't do it, it will help you exactly 0%
however, I do plan on studying in the spring. Nothing serious. I'll read 2-3 hours a day over old textbooks and some others I've bought.

Quoted twice for emphasis, don't do it.
and start to develop beneficial habits and a routine that'll work later.
You really want to develop beneficial habits that will help you in medical school? Get into a work out routine, eat healthy, and read books (NOT textbooks).

Hell no.

Don't. You will get nothing out of it.

Don't do it, it will help you exactly 0%

Quoted twice for emphasis, don't do it.

You really want to develop beneficial habits that will help you in medical school? Get into a work out routine, eat healthy, and read books (NOT textbooks).

Dad, it's better than doing drugs.
I get off reading about pharm and stuff idk.

I also recommend reading Scale by Geoffrey West

Just enjoy yourself while you can.

Plz don't pre-study. Every curriculum is different and it will not help you.

If you really are that bored here is the best thing you can do to get ready.

1. Learn how to meal prep. Learn how to use a crock pot. Make a diet plan for a 2 week period so you don't eat chicken everyday.

2. Find a work-out routine that works for you. Try cardio on the treadmill, free weights. Whatever fitness regiment that you can do quick and don't have to prepare for.

3. Learn Spanish. It gets old repeating "no hablo" on clinical rotations and you won't find the time after you start.

:rofl:With the caveat that you probably will end up just eating chicken anyway. Or tuna packets
I mix it up with salmon every once in a while but I wish I put more time into making a unique meal than Type of rice + Chicken + Asparagus/Brussel Sprouts every single day.