ACCEPTED INTO SCHOOL? what now....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hollaATCHAdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need everyone's opinion. I have been accepted into a couple medical schools thus far, but I am still waiting to hear from a few of my top choices. I was offered an excellent research position at a top notch medical school, but decided to decline the position. It was bitter sweet choosing to decline the position: I am worried that in my upcoming interviews, I will be asked what I am doing until I begin medical school (which will be working in a non-related medical field), on the other hand, the research is a HUGE commitment (expects a MINIMUM of 40 hours a week-and he made it very clear) and the pay is not very good. What are everyone's thoughts on my situation. Is anyone else into medical school (but not their top choices) and has decided to do something non-medically related? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I need everyone's opinion. I have been accepted into a couple medical schools thus far, but I am still waiting to hear from a few of my top choices. I was offered an excellent research position at a top notch medical school, but decided to decline the position. It was bitter sweet choosing to decline the position: I am worried that in my upcoming interviews, I will be asked what I am doing until I begin medical school (which will be working in a non-related medical field), on the other hand, the research is a HUGE commitment (expects a MINIMUM of 40 hours a week-and he made it very clear) and the pay is not very good. What are everyone's thoughts on my situation. Is anyone else into medical school (but not their top choices) and has decided to do something non-medically related? Thanks!

Congratulations on your acceptances. Go have fun. Seriously. Medical school is a hell ride. Take the time to really enjoy yourself before school starts.

don't worry about non-medical jobs in the interview. I've got plenty of them and they sparked good conversations in my interview.

Members don't see this ad :)

Don't worry about it. As soon as I got my first acceptance I quit my job at a biotech company and started working for Invisible Fence. I just played around with dogs all summer and it was really the best thing I could have done. You'll be working your butt on in med school so go and do something fun. Or at the least less stressful. No one is going to judge you for it.

thanks everyone for their replies. does anyone believe that choosing to to do something non medically related, will negatively affect my chances of being accepted into my top choice medical schools (where i have yet to interview, but am scheduled)

thanks