Accepted last year- still not in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

citrussours90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Really need some advice. I applied last year and was accepted to five medical schools. I was fully prepared to start medical school this fall at my home state school (top ten), which I chose by the April 30th deadline. Over the summer, I was accepted off the wait list at a school in a state I've always wanted to live in. I impulsively chose to attend this school over my state school.

Ever since then, I felt immense regret about choosing this second school over my state school. This was mostly due to moving away from my family & friends and the fact that my state school is much better ranked and well regarded than the school I chose.

I had so much anxiety and regret that I decided to defer my medical school acceptance to the second school for one year. After doing this, I realized how stupid and careless I had been. While all of my friends are starting med school, I'm stuck wasting a year working a minimum wage job. I want to become a doctor more than anything else in the world and I gave it up in a moment of regret and anxiety. I will be 4 yrs out of college when I start school and I feel like I've wasted so much time.

Does anyone have any advice of how I should go forward? And how I can make my time off meaningful? Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any advice of how I should go forward? And how I can make my time off meaningful? Thanks for your help.
Do things while you have time and a little bit of money that you won't be able to do for the next 8 years. Travel, read books, exercise, work hard, spend time with family.

Peers of mine in school that had a gap year(s) have been much better at avoiding burnout

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You certainly have a unique story.

Truthfully, all that is left to do is try and have a good gap year. You made what you now consider a mistake, so how about trying to turn it into a positive? While it may seem like a really bad situation at the moment, if you approach it with a good attitude, you may find this was a good decision.

Enjoy it! I'll pm you my story but essentially I'm in a similar situation and already 2 yrs removed from undergrad except without an acceptance. I'm looking forward to the year.

Spend your year learning to live without regret, learning to quell your anxieties. One year isn't going to be detrimental to your life. You are already into a medical school! That is so wonderful. Focus on the present, the future is soon to come. Please, if you can afford it, do some traveling! Go to Asia and backpack for a few months. Go get your scuba diving license on an island in Malaysia. Go sleep in some airports and take overnight buses through Vietnam. That's what I did in my time off!

Think of it this way. You can use this year as an investment to make yourself into a better doctor whether it be through more clinical experience or life exposure.

I would say get a time machine and shadow Dr.Baker or maybe Dr.Quinn.. but....

What in the world made you choose that school in the first place then?

wambulance on its way.

Reactions: 2 users
Really need some advice. I applied last year and was accepted to five medical schools. I was fully prepared to start medical school this fall at my home state school (top ten), which I chose by the April 30th deadline. Over the summer, I was accepted off the wait list at a school in a state I've always wanted to live in. I impulsively chose to attend this school over my state school.

Ever since then, I felt immense regret about choosing this second school over my state school. This was mostly due to moving away from my family & friends and the fact that my state school is much better ranked and well regarded than the school I chose.

I had so much anxiety and regret that I decided to defer my medical school acceptance to the second school for one year. After doing this, I realized how stupid and careless I had been. While all of my friends are starting med school, I'm stuck wasting a year working a minimum wage job. I want to become a doctor more than anything else in the world and I gave it up in a moment of regret and anxiety. I will be 4 yrs out of college when I start school and I feel like I've wasted so much time.

You've made a decision, now stick with it. Don't second guess it. If you made this decision, then trust yourself and your instincts.

Why not move to the area early? Find a great place to live, get to know the area, work and have fun? It may make the transition to the medical school more enjoyable if you have friends outside of medical school as well. Otherwise, try to travel and enjoy the fact that your decision is made and you have a year to yourself.

Make better choices in the future, and don't look back.

What advice do you need? You got into medical school. You've reached a tough-to-get-to milestone in your life. Think of it this way. You have an acceptance in hand already to a medical school and even though you are working a minimum wage job, you still have a lot of free time to hang out with family and friends.

Don't look back. Enjoy your year knowing you WILL START MEDICAL SCHOOL. :)

Do something you've always wanted to do! Then you wont regret the gap year much, because you made the time for something you wanted to do and did it.