DE15C

Accepted Class of 2018!!!
5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
I am lucky enough to have gotten more than one acceptance, so now I have the very first-world problem of choosing which one to take.
I only applied to schools that I was interested in attending so it has become a more difficult decision than I expected. After focusing for so long on whether or not I would get accepted anywhere, I realize I hadn't thought much beyond that.
I think the first 2 years are all pretty similar at any school, once you get past didactics, systems based, PBL, etc. you are learning the same material.
My focus now is on clinical rotation pros and cons.
I don't want to get into one of those "this school vs that school" debates on this thread. I am looking for more general input from people on factors that have shaped their decision in similar circumstances.
So if anyone could share what things helped them clarify their decisions I would greatly appreciate it.

stlrams22

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I am lucky enough to have gotten more than one acceptance, so now I have the very first-world problem of choosing which one to take.
I only applied to schools that I was interested in attending so it has become a more difficult decision than I expected. After focusing for so long on whether or not I would get accepted anywhere, I realize I hadn't thought much beyond that.
I think the first 2 years are all pretty similar at any school, once you get past didactics, systems based, PBL, etc. you are learning the same material.
I don't want to get into one of those "this school vs that school" debates on this thread. I am looking for more general input from people on factors that have shaped their decision in similar circumstances.
So if anyone could share what things helped them clarify their decisions I would greatly appreciate it.
Quality of clinical rotations and location. My preferences for location are based on being close to my family, mostly for my children to see their grandparents.

hockey40

5+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2013
Status
Medical Student
For me, it was all based on where I wanted to do clerkships and which school would allow me practice medicine in my home state (MI) after graduation. With these in mind, MSUCOM was a no-brainer, but I'd definitely suggest you think about where you want to practice after med school. Networking (i.e. during 3rd year and away rotations) can never be understated.

ph7

Aug 13, 2012
Chicago
Status
Medical Student
Like previous posts, location was a big part in deciding. Living in Chicago and looking towards that type of market in the future, I knew that a school in a larger city would fit me better. The lifestyle is one thing, but the rotations and lack of worry in terms of moving every few months during yr 3-4 was a big plus for choosing CCOM over other schools where I might have "felt" comfortable at.

teres

5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2013
Status
Moving around every month for 3rd and 4th years is not appealing to me, so that helps narrow the decision down. Also, the number of elective rotations, when they are (3rd vs 4th year), how rotations are assigned, geographic area of rotation sites, and types of hospitals are important factors to consider when evaluating the clinical years.

Sep 26, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Financial considerations, the ability to stay local for rotations (I have a wife and 4 kids who don't want to move more than once), weather, recorded lectures, friendly interview vibes from the schools, and proximity to family are all selection factors for me. :D