Accepted... now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taylorloche

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice! Now that the initial excitement of being accepted has started to wear off, I'm beginning to feel a bit overwhelmed about the process of getting my finances in order, moving across the country, and starting school in the fall. Does anyone have any helpful advice about what I should be doing in the upcoming months and by when? I have already made plans to quit my job in June so that I can travel a bit before starting, but I'm more concerned about the logistics of finding and applying for loans as well as finding housing in an unfamiliar city. What should be my priorities at the moment? Any current med students have any advice on what they did to get everything in order? Smaller tips such as things to purchase or ways to use my free time while I still have it are also appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Go to lowes and buy a tent, an oil lamp, and a blanket. I just saved you $12-13k a year. Your welcome.

Reactions: 3 users
You're going to want to drink heavily and sleep far into the afternoon. These two things lead right into each other. Also I suggest getting as much sun as you can as you will be spending a lot of time under fluorescent lighting.

In review, go outside drink there, sleep there. Repeat.

As far as the move and getting ready for school. Casually look for an apt while putting off anything hard until the last minute.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"Don't worry. Everything still feels like Monopoly money at this point." --wise words from pretty much every student I've talked to

Reactions: 8 users
I quit my job when I got accepted and went go spend a couple months with my family (overseas). I have 6 months until school starts, and I was thinking maybe I'd get a job or be productive, but my bed is just sooo comfortable.

Reactions: 1 users
Hop on your class's facebook and recruit some roomates?

Make a list of the most stressful things you could possibly do and then do the opposite of those things.

Alternatively, make a list of the least stressful things you could possibly do and then do those things.

First off, congratulations! Second, don't do anything science related. Enjoy life. Go golfing, traveling, or whatever it is you young kids do nowadays. Third, don't do anything stupid. Don't get a DUI, don't go getting arrested for domestic violence, and if you do anything stupid - make sure it never ends up on YouTube.

PS - in 4 years after you match, I'm gonna tell you the exact same thing. So there. Always got your back. Cheers.

if I were you, I'd save up the money from job to hop airplane to airplane (getting the cheapest deals of course) so that you can travel the world. I'd personally go overseas and do a lot nature activities and visit a lot of cool, fun places in the spring. Maybe spend a month carefully planning this out so that you can save some extra cash here and there but also get a deal of the lifetime.