Accepted students - what are you pre-matriculation plans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Graduate. Please let me just graduate already.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Working full time to save as much money as I can
Using my saved up paid time off for 2 weeks of much needed travel time
Reading and sleeping as much as possible anddd learning Spanish
Excited to enjoy summer weather!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Trying to go to europe but all my friends are too poor or too busy :(

People always say that, but honestly I'm terrified. Plus, I love being with other people so I feel like I will just be lonely.
You could stay in hostels and meet plenty of people. Also you can do free walking tours and meet people like that as well. It's very easy to meet people in many parts of Europe, there's nothing to be scared of.

Or you could just wait until someone agrees to go with you, which could not happen...

Motorcycle rock climbing cross country trip!

For everyone waiting for a friend to be free... imo traveling solo is an amazing experience.

You'll meet folks along the way, and if you can walk up to someone and just start a conversation you; never be too lonely.

Plus... traveling romances become a possibility

I have been accepted to my dream school plus 2 others I would be very happy at (pending financial aid packages). As such, I have quit my job and on Wednesday I will be flying to South America! I will be in Quito, Ecuador for about 4 weeks where I will be volunteering at a hostel basically as a person to be around who can speak English. In exchange I get a free place to live and 3 meals/day. I will also be taking intensive Spanish lessons, something that is important to me before I begin medical school (already speak it OK but want to be conversational). After the 4 weeks are up I plan to do some backpacking - will probably leave Ecuador and do some travelling through Colombia and/or Peru. Very open to recommendations btw!

Edit - Please excuse the typo in the subject line, I was writing from my phone.

Whats everyone else up to? Any other crazy travel plans?

Uhh are you in Ecuador right now? Im going to Quito in two weeks.

You could stay in hostels and meet plenty of people. Also you can do free walking tours and meet people like that as well. It's very easy to meet people in many parts of Europe, there's nothing to be scared of.

Or you could just wait until someone agrees to go with you, which could not happen...
I get your point. I really do. Just knowing myself, I know I would feel kind of lost. Plus, I've already gone to Europe for a month, so it's not the end of the world if I can't go again. But still. I'd like to go. If going alone is my only option, I'll consider it. I prefer to go with other people though.

Work till the end of May. 2 weeks seeing London, Dublin, and Dubrovnik. Coming home and fishing/not leaving the beach for 6 weeks.

Counting.Down.The.Days.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Work till the end of May. 2 weeks seeing London, Dublin, and Dubrovnik. Coming home and fishing/not leaving the beach for 6 weeks.

Counting.Down.The.Days.
I'm quitting the same day as you and I literally just counted the days. 66 more! We can make it.

People always say that, but honestly I'm terrified. Plus, I love being with other people so I feel like I will just be lonely.
Just go. You will have an amazing time and meet tons of people who may become your friends for life. You would only be lonely if you totally isolate yourself.

After undergrad...my daughter backpacked all over Europe (for 9 weeks) by herself, she backpacked all over SE Asia (for 4 months) by herself. Before, after, and in between those back packing trips she had a 6 month work visa for Scotland, 6 month Ireland, and a 1 year for New Zealand...and also went back to Scotland and worked under the table for 4 months before she came home and finally started life. Spent those couple years working and living in flats with other room mates from all over the world. She is still great friends with many of them.

I was nervous to travel alone my first time. Now it is honestly my preferred situation. Do whatever you want whenever you want on your exact budget.

Leaving my full time job at the end of April! Super excited!! Planning to spend a ton of time reading, seeing friends, and getting ready to move!

Don't currently have the budget to do a huge trip, but looking to do a few smaller excursions. Anyone have any fun suggestions for weekend trips within driving distance of MA? I'm ashamed to say I have never really explored much of my area and definitely want to before I (probably) move away for at least 4 years!

Reactions: 2 users
I get your point. I really do. Just knowing myself, I know I would feel kind of lost. Plus, I've already gone to Europe for a month, so it's not the end of the world if I can't go again. But still. I'd like to go. If going alone is my only option, I'll consider it. I prefer to go with other people though.
Another option is to look into group trips or plan a bunch of group tours/excursions. That way you can have the freedom to go where you want while having easy opportunities to make friends or be around other travelers for a while. I haven't looked into the pricing of these, but I've heard a lot of good things about the busabout trips through Europe. There are TONS of travel blogs out there for females, young people, older people, etc traveling solo, I'd start there for some ideas and tips if you're considering it.

Leaving my full time job at the end of April! Super excited!! Planning to spend a ton of time reading, seeing friends, and getting ready to move!

Don't currently have the budget to do a huge trip, but looking to do a few smaller excursions. Anyone have any fun suggestions for weekend trips within driving distance of MA? I'm ashamed to say I have never really explored much of my area and definitely want to before I (probably) move away for at least 4 years!

Acadia National Park

1. Getting ripped in the gym. GQ Doctor in 2021.
2. Organizing step 1 study materials to review alongside class material.
3. Traveling to India
4. Sleeping 12 hours/day to compensate for the lost sleep in the next 10 years.

Counting.Down.The.Days.
Dubrovnik is hands down the most beautiful place I've ever been. You need a travel partner?

Will you be leaving New England for school? Check out Mount Monadnock, Franconia Falls, Acadia National Park before you go. Also Portland and Burlington are great, inexpensive places to spend a weekend.

Reactions: 2 users

Portsmouth NH is an awesome city to visit! It has a lot to do and great food!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Working working working. Took a nice vacation earlier this year. It was much needed but I broke my arm, which put me out of work and put my financial planning in a bit of a tizzy. So I will be working a lot more than expected up until the last minute. Oh well!

Definitely second Burlington and Portland. Also you should check out Provincetown over the summer if you've never made it that far down the cape! If you've never been to the Vineyard, that can be a fun excursion if you don't mind paying for the ferry there. If you don't mind driving for a bit longer (5-6 hours), you could also plan a Philly trip. Lots of fun historical stuff to do there if you enjoy that kind of stuff! You can also fairly easily get to Montreal (like ~5 hours). Also Providence is always fun if you've never been.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!! I will definitely be checking out Acadia National Park and Provincetown! I've been to Mount Monadnock (highly recommend!), as well as Burlington and Portland (also great!), but maybe I will try to go back again! I'm going to create a New England/Boston bucket list and try to do as much as possible.

And yeah, @ChrisMack390, I will probably be leaving New England for med school (not completely decided but 95% sure I'm leaving either way) which feels weird because I've lived here for 14 years.

1. Getting ripped in the gym. GQ Doctor in 2021.
2. Organizing step 1 study materials to review alongside class material.
3. Traveling to India
4. Sleeping 12 hours/day to compensate for the lost sleep in the next 10 years.
Which step 1 study materials were you planning on using? I'm stuck.

Graduate in late April (only have classes 2 days/week), become a better bowler (been going 2x/week), Europe throughout May and early June, Outer Banks (NC) for a week, then it'll be time to get back to work!

Dubrovnik is hands down the most beautiful place I've ever been. You need a travel partner?
I wouldn't mind, but my girlfriend may! Staying in one of the apartments basically on the walls right next to one of the Buza Bars. I can't wait.

Congrats everyone!

Last edited:
Hey guys, some M1s I know recommended that I get firecracker to start going over anatomy for first year. If any of you guys are interested, you can use my referral code:

mbsy.co/gz2sH

It'll give you up to 50% for a subscription, which is a big deal because they are normally never this cheap.
The deadline to use it though is tomorrow, April 1 @ 11:59pm

And no, this is not an April fools joke! haha
Nooo! :nono:

The only firecracker I wanna see before school is the ones going off on independence day.

Sounds good

Last edited:
Found a 2 day cruise for 2 to the Bahamas for 249 so that's about it

Edit: oh and graduate lol

Last edited:

maybe you can take a visit to Walden Pond, truly one of the most serene places I've been to!

@'21savage

I have been accepted to my dream school plus 2 others I would be very happy at (pending financial aid packages). As such, I have quit my job and on Wednesday I will be flying to South America! I will be in Quito, Ecuador for about 4 weeks where I will be volunteering at a hostel basically as a person to be around who can speak English. In exchange I get a free place to live and 3 meals/day. I will also be taking intensive Spanish lessons, something that is important to me before I begin medical school (already speak it OK but want to be conversational). After the 4 weeks are up I plan to do some backpacking - will probably leave Ecuador and do some travelling through Colombia and/or Peru. Very open to recommendations btw!

Edit - Please excuse the typo in the subject line, I was writing from my phone.

Whats everyone else up to? Any other crazy travel plans?

Cool! what program is this? Intrested in the hostel + meals + spanish lessons

i bought a flight last night to peru for $130! adios sdn!

Reactions: 5 users
I'm traveling around the United States and then I'm going to Europe for a week!

Only a week?? Where are you going!

I know right?? I'd love to stay longer but I want to have a little bit of cash left over when I start medical school haha.

So far, the plan is Netherlands with a day or so in Belgium. I'd love to also go to England but I don't know if I will have time for that. I've never been to Europe so I am super excited. Totally open to any travel tips if you have been!

People flying to Europe and Peru and I'm just sat here, dog sitting.

People flying to Europe and Peru and I'm just sat here, dog sitting.
You get to hang out with a dog though

which can be pretty awesome

20150218.png

Reactions: 3 users
Imma keep things more low key by going to Portland Maine for a long weekend. Imma spend so much time and money shuttling back and forth from Boston to different parts of CA to move that big out of the country trips just wouldn't work out :oops: but I am gonna be to wherever I end up a few weeks before orientation so I'll at least get to explore what'll be around me for the next 4 years!