Accepted to med school, now what?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

squidwardsquarepants

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the acceptances have come in, but what do students do to prepare for the rigors of med school? What books out there are great reads about medical school? What can you do to make the most of your time? Or is it just time to relax until it all begins??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

So the acceptances have come in, but what do students do to prepare for the rigors of med school? What books out there are great reads about medical school? What can you do to make the most of your time? Or is it just time to relax until it all begins??

Haha, spoken like a true pre med. Just crack open a bottle of champagne and enjoy with your friends. Or if you're like me get some immitation champagne (lemon water) and eat at a fancy restaurant to celebrate. Cheers! And Congratulations love <3.

Reactions: 6 users

now wait 4 years for MD/DO diploma to show up in the mail. jk.

relax and enjoy. make sure you submit all necessary documents to matriculate like background check, immunizations, deposit, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of med students advise against "pre-studying" for med school as it doesn't seem to help much.

Rather, your time is probably much better spent relaxing and enjoying your time with loved ones before med school starts.

Reactions: 3 users
Cmon man you spent all those years working and stressing about whether or not you got in. Enjoy this time. Have a little fun. Just don't crater your gpa.

Reactions: 1 user
A lot of med students advise against "pre-studying" for med school as it doesn't seem to help much.

Rather, your time is probably much better spent relaxing and enjoying your time with loved ones before med school starts.

Hahaha in no way did I mean to study for med school. I guess it came off that way. I am just pumped about getting in to some schools and want to be prepared now

Relax, travel, watch Netflix, etc.

Relax, enjoy the feeling of your hard work and dedication paying off. Don’t study, don’t worry, just find a way to enjoy this free time

Relax
Enjoy the feeling
Read some fiction for pleasure
Exercise
Travel
Read/learn some about finances in general
Don’t get into legal trouble

Reactions: 1 users
Don’t need to pre-read. In fact, anything you take a month to pre-read will be covered in less than a week.

Cut loose, have fun, and enjoy your last months of freedom.

Me and my fiancée ate a $123 meal at the nicest steakhouse in town. Now THAT was the feeling of acceptance, I tell you what!

crack open a cold one with the boys

Whip it out. Seriously whip it out and lay it out at the next pre med meeting you go to. The feeling of being accepted and starting in 10 months is like a honeymoon. Do whatever the hell you want

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Read: House of God, Being Mortal, When Breath Becomes Air, Gulp, The Gene, Better.

Edit: also The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, The Scalpel and The Silver Bear, The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down, Cutting for Stone

Last edited:
Another idea...in the meantime get a job where you can set some money aside. The job can be anything, but one working with people can be helpful in the long run. I know a med student who worked as a bartender at a nice restaurant during his last semester of college and the summer after. He built up a savings buffer and the people-experience was also beneficial.

If you haven’t started studying, you’re already behind.

Use the medical student card on the ladies

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you haven’t started studying, you’re already behind.

Shoot dude. You're right. I just bought all of my books and three others schools books to make sure I'm up to info on different curriculums

I would say get sketchy and first aid right now.

Get down all the bugs and antimicrobials right now.

This is when the actual real hard work begins.

;)

Party your face off but don't get arrested.

I graduated from a combine BS/MD program a few decades ago.

Looking back, I have just one recommendation for you.

In our final year prior to medical school, we had the opportunity to take any thing. I took tennis and English literature. They were fun, enlightening.

Many of colleague students took "medical terminology". Easy class.

Many years later, we had reunion. We talked about our old days in BS phase. We talked about the most useful class. Many of my colleagues in the BS/MD program said with thumb up "MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY".

Looking back, those of us who took that medical terminology did do better in medical school than those who did not.

N=12 But it was quite obvious in retrospect.

Also if you are interested in easy reading, read "King of Hearts" about Walther Lillihei. Great story about how we got inside of human heart.

Some good medical but not study books are: Every Patient Tells A Story (by the lady who was the inspiration for House M.D.), The Soul of a Doctor, and Complications by Atul Gawande (All his stuff is good).

Reactions: 2 users