accepted to medical school in 2012, didn't have greencard, re-applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrFLAGATORS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need help on how to present my story in my application.

Here's my story...

I finished undergrad in 2010, then did an SMP in 2011. Did really well, and was accepted to the SMP's medical school in 2012. Unfortunately, per the Conditions of Acceptance, I had to be a permanent resident (green card holder) or US citizen for admission. At the time, I wasn't. I was under "Adjustment of Status" immigration status. Meaning, I am an "applicant for permanent residency". So, the medical school rescinded their offer in July 2012, and I was SOL.

Now you may think I just came to this country, but I've been here for 21 years. My family emigrated from India in 1991, and we applied for our green card in Dec 2002, when I was 15 years old. Last month, we finally received it, 11 years later.

Since July 2012, I have worked as a clinical research coordinator in a neurology practice and a cardiology practice. I re-applied in 2012 for August 2013 matriculation, hoping I would get my green card. I re-applied, re-interviewed at the medical school I was accepted to, but my green card didn't come in time, again.

So, now that I finally have it in my hands, I am going to re-apply for 2015 matriculation. And my MCAT score expired last year, so I am re-taking it this May.

So I was thinking of writing about this in my personal statement. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Unless it has something to do with why you want to be a doctor, it shouldn't go into your personal statement.

Congrats on finally getting the green card!

Gaaah...I am so sorry it took so long. I agree that it shouldn't go in your personal statement. If you're planning on applying to the exact same school, perhaps you should just update them in a different way? I would honestly contact the school directly and see what they suggest.

Members don't see this ad :)
I already spoke to the dean of the school I was accepted to, so he knows I got the green card and told me to apply early in June. I want to apply broadly, though, because that school is OOS. I have a meeting with an admissions committee member at my state school, so I will see what she has to say.