Accepted to schools with extremely low MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where did you apply? Get interviews and accepted? I have a lower MCAT score and am in the midst of applications.

Rather not say. I go to a DO school in the north. I applied basically everywhere.

Members don't see this ad.

You're celebrating now but wait when you start biochemistry your first week. Your professor will expect everyone to be fairly competent in many of these pathways and will probably start lecture discussing how Diabetes affects glycolysis.
I say this not to demean or troll but to tell you that you have to work hard irregardless of your MCAT score and the professors will hold everyone to the same standard, those who score in the bottom and top 25th percentile.
Numbers aren't everything. My uGPA and sGPA are terrible. I'm doing a Master's at a DO program and I took biochem and other courses with the DO students (yes same course and exams, etc.) I failed my first test hard to adjust to the rigor, but pulled off a good grade and actually chose to do my thesis research in a biochem lab with the chair of biochem doing radioactive enzyme assays. I'm just saying just because a number is low doesn't mean that they can't handle the classes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

I feel like my post needs a disclaimer. I've read similar posts to this, and I've seen the comments. I fully recognize that my success is comparable to "winning the lotto" and I'm prepared that some of you will comment "I would seriously doubt your ability to succeed in medical school if you scored this low on your mcat".

I'm very grateful for the opportunity to become a physician, and thankful for those who saw something in my application that made them consider looking past my flaws. I recognize that I don't fit the bill of your typical applicant, and I'm not trying to give false hope to anyone with a similar situation. Take my situation with a grain of salt, but maybe this will help just one person feel a little better :)

I've received two acceptances this cycle, with an MCAT score of 492.

SDN can be a harsh place, and once you read some of the posts on this forum, it's hard to find hope when you already feel like a POS pre-med student. Hang in there and do your best!

Where were you accepted? Could I get essay tips? I got a 499 and am feeling horrible about it so I'm hoping I can be an outlier like you. 4.56 GPA. Over 6 years of healthcare experience. Worked full time throughout college. Double major-Behavioral Neuroscience and Biomedical Science with a minor in Biology. Economically disadvantaged. Want to serve rural communities. I definitely fit the mission for my top in state schools- Michigan State and Central Michigan. I'm hoping a have a chance. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where were you accepted? Could I get essay tips? I got a 499 and am feeling horrible about it so I'm hoping I can be an outlier like you. 4.56 GPA. Over 6 years of healthcare experience. Worked full time throughout college. Double major-Behavioral Neuroscience and Biomedical Science with a minor in Biology. Economically disadvantaged. Want to serve rural communities. I definitely fit the mission for my top in state schools- Michigan State and Central Michigan. I'm hoping a have a chance. Thanks in advance.
Don't even try MD.
Focus on applying to the new DO schools (ARCOM, ICOM, BCOM, MUCOM, RVU-Utah, etc.)
Make sure you have strong EC's and a DO letter.

If all else fails - retake that damn test.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed. 499 is too close not to at least try to break the 500 mark. Plenty of people get in with 499s.

Don't even try MD.
Focus on applying to the new DO schools (ARCOM, ICOM, BCOM, MUCOM, RVU-Utah, etc.)
Make sure you have strong EC's and a DO letter.

If all else fails - retake that damn test.

I feel like my post needs a disclaimer. I've read similar posts to this, and I've seen the comments. I fully recognize that my success is comparable to "winning the lotto" and I'm prepared that some of you will comment "I would seriously doubt your ability to succeed in medical school if you scored this low on your mcat".

I'm very grateful for the opportunity to become a physician, and thankful for those who saw something in my application that made them consider looking past my flaws. I recognize that I don't fit the bill of your typical applicant, and I'm not trying to give false hope to anyone with a similar situation. Take my situation with a grain of salt, but maybe this will help just one person feel a little better :)

I've received two acceptances this cycle, with an MCAT score of 492.

SDN can be a harsh place, and once you read some of the posts on this forum, it's hard to find hope when you already feel like a POS pre-med student. Hang in there and do your best!

Congrats!!! and thanks for sharing your story. I just got 493 and in the midst of choosing schools, especially DOs. did you have a DO letter? I'm missing that one.

Just received MCAT score. Not great. Here's where I stand...

1.) MCAT - 491. 120/126/120/125 - Chem/CARS/Bio/Psy
2.) Science GPA - 3.4
3.) Total GPA - 3.7
4.) 135 hours shadowing
5.) Very strong personal statement. Nearly brought 2 Doctors to tears.
6.) Letters from MD, DO, PhD
7.) Lots of leadership experience

Obviously the MCAT score is not great, but I think I'm competitive otherwise. Question is - do I play it by ear, or retake the test? Last test day is Sep. 16, about 1.5 months away.

2.) Science GPA - 3.4
3.) Total GPA - 3.7
4.) 135 hours shadowing

Obviously the MCAT score is not great, but I think I'm competitive otherwise. Question is - do I play it by ear, or retake the test? Last test day is Sep. 16, about 1.5 months away.
You got an equivalent of 3/15 on the old MCAT in the two hard science sections, around the 30th percentile. While you obviously show aptitude in verbal reasoning and social sciences, I would say it is a HUGE red flag to have such low scores in important sections. You have a GPA that will put you in a good position and great EC's, don't waste them on an application cycle with that MCAT. DON'T RUSH TO RETAKE THE MCAT IN SEPTEMBER. One thing worse than having this 491 would be rushing to take it and get an equal/worse score. That would be a nail in the coffin, imho. Plus you'd end up with an October app, which is on the late side with your stats.

Wait to apply next year and dedicate time to really knock that MCAT out of the park. If you apply this cycle, you're going to waste money and find yourself still having to reapply next cycle.

Reactions: 6 users

2.) Science GPA - 3.4
3.) Total GPA - 3.7
4.) 135 hours shadowing

Absolutely retake next year. Your science sections are indicative of serious gaps in content knowledge. Even if you did apply and get accepted to some newer school I think you would really struggle. Take this year to work on your content and really figure out how to teach yourself. Or, better yet supplement your sGPA with some post bacc work. I found cell bio, micro and genetics to be very helpful for the MCAT.

Obviously I haven't read your personal statement but keep in mind that emotional doesn't always equal a strong PS. Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
You got an equivalent of 3/15 on the old MCAT in the two hard science sections, around the 30th percentile. While you obviously show aptitude in verbal reasoning and social sciences, I would say it is a HUGE red flag to have such low scores in important sections. You have a GPA that will put you in a good position and great EC's, don't waste them on an application cycle with that MCAT. DON'T RUSH TO RETAKE THE MCAT IN SEPTEMBER. One thing worse than having this 491 would be rushing to take it and get an equal/worse score. That would be a nail in the coffin, imho. Plus you'd end up with an October app, which is on the late side with your stats.

Wait to apply next year and dedicate time to really knock that MCAT out of the park. If you apply this cycle, you're going to waste money and find yourself still having to reapply next cycle.

Womp, womp. I already applied this cycle (wanted to get my application in late June/early July) so the money is already spent.

I won't re-take it this year, but will cross my fingers for this cycle and be prepared to take the test again next year.

Womp, womp. I already applied this cycle (wanted to get my application in late June/early July) so the money is already spent.

I won't re-take it this year, but will cross my fingers for this cycle and be prepared to take the test again next year.
Well now it is what it is, but I definitely think it's smart to wait to retake and not rush it this cycle. Hopefully a strong new MCAT score will really enhance your app in the eyes of potential re-applicant schools next summer. I don't say all of this to discourage you, I'm just telling you as a current medical student that those gaps in content/knowledge will really bite you in the butt come med school basic sciences.

Did you study a lot/long time for your MCAT? What were your practice test scores?

Reactions: 1 users
Well now it is what it is, but I definitely think it's smart to wait to retake and not rush it this cycle. Hopefully a strong new MCAT score will really enhance your app in the eyes of potential re-applicant schools next summer. I don't say all of this to discourage you, I'm just telling you as a current medical student that those gaps in content/knowledge will really bite you in the butt come med school basic sciences.

Did you study a lot/long time for your MCAT? What were your practice test scores?

Haha, that's the thing, this cycle was always kind of a long shot. I really only studied about two months, off and on. Not practice tests, just content review. I underestimated the amount of material (bio chem) that was on there that I've never seen before.

2.) Science GPA - 3.4
3.) Total GPA - 3.7
4.) 135 hours shadowing

You have to retake test. Not even sure if you'd get into a Pod school with that score.
And don't just study for test like you had been... you need a serious study change and months of it.
It's a marathon, not a sprint.

You have to retake test. Not even sure if you'd get into a Pod school with that score.
And don't just study for test like you had been... you need a serious study change and months of it.
Oh he'd get into pod school haha some schools average even lower

With that GPA, I would think Pod schools might take a chance on them. Maybe not the smaller schools, but if they were to apply broadly and interview well, I could see a DPM acceptance.

I've already applied (applied before the MCAT), so I'll see what happens. Foolish or not, this cycle I was testing the waters. Didn't even think I'd apply this cycle at first, but saw I was further along than I realized. If I don't get accepted to the schools I want, I'd rather wait a year, get a better score and get into the school I want.

I've already applied (applied before the MCAT), so I'll see what happens. Foolish or not, this cycle I was testing the waters. Didn't even think I'd apply this cycle at first, but saw I was further along than I realized. If I don't get accepted to the schools I want, I'd rather wait a year, get a better score and get into the school I want.

That's why I always say if you not sure about your MCAT score just apply to throw away school not multiple schools. You will be re-applicant next year which will look bad. Not a good to apply with 491. Mine was way higher than yours, had to go smp route and got in.
All the best!

Reactions: 2 users
If I don't get accepted to the schools I want, I'd rather wait a year, get a better score and get into the school I want.

This is the most foolish statement I have ever seen. If you get any acceptances this cycle then you go. Don't apply to schools you wouldn't go to.
Your MCAT is horrendous. Like straight up horrendous and needs to be improved mightily before you can think about even being somewhat picky with where you want to go to medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
Haha, that's the thing, this cycle was always kind of a long shot. I really only studied about two months, off and on. Not practice tests, just content review. I underestimated the amount of material (bio chem) that was on there that I've never seen before.

Med school applications are expensive and unforgiving. Another thing to consider is that many schools ask whether your are a re-applicant.

I would recommend approaching your MCAT full throttle. I approached the exam like my career depended on it.

Regardless, good luck this cycle.

I got a 503 and almost didn't apply because I felt like I bombed the exam. I applied broadly though and I'll go to any school that wants me. If I have a choice that's even better.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

I got a 494 on my first mcat take.
123/124/122/125

GPA is bout 3.4 sgpA maybe around the same, not exactly sure.

Non-traditional URM (African American) and a registered nurse.

2 science professors letters and a DO letter.

Do I have a chance to get into any school?

https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/factstablea24-2.pdf

above is a neat table made by the AAMC. if we assume 494=22 on the old MCAT scale, this gives an accept rate of less than 25%. that's also assuming your GPA is really 3.4.

will a DO school give you a shot? I bet one of the newer schools would give you an invite. if I were you I'd be genuinely concerned about starting medical school. your MCAT suggests deficiencies in basic science, but those can be fixed! look into all the resources here in the MCAT section and on reddit. change your approach, improve your score. shoot for MD next year and apply DO as a back up. don't rush, you got this. :)

https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/factstablea24-2.pdf

above is a neat table made by the AAMC. if we assume 494=22 on the old MCAT scale, this gives an accept rate of less than 25%. that's also assuming your GPA is really 3.4.

will a DO school give you a shot? I bet one of the newer schools would give you an invite. if I were you I'd be genuinely concerned about starting medical school. your MCAT suggests deficiencies in basic science, but those can be fixed! look into all the resources here in the MCAT section and on reddit. change your approach, improve your score. shoot for MD next year and apply DO as a back up. don't rush, you got this. :)
Thanks for the response! Maybe if I miraculously got accepted somewhere I could catch up on bio/biochem before school started? I don’t think I have it in me to put everything off for another year. I was thinking I’ll just become an NP if I don’t get into a med school for 2019.

I’m of the philosophy that if you want something, you do everything in your power to make that happen. Plan A is plan A. Chase it.

We all have to run our own race.
Remember, medical schools are risk averse not risk takers.

Place yourself in their shoes. “Why should I give you one of the 150 or so spots?”. What risks are there? Their reputation if... Your financial load if... Your health (mental and physical) if...

Do what ever you have to in order to mitigate these risks. It’s a marathon, not sprint.

I’m in my 30s and applying. It took a long time to decide, to do damage control, to study, to prepare, and to understand why this is something I want more than anything else.

Last edited:
I got a 494 on my first mcat take.
123/124/122/125

GPA is bout 3.4 sgpA maybe around the same, not exactly sure.

Non-traditional URM (African American) and a registered nurse.

2 science professors letters and a DO letter.

Do I have a chance to get into any school?
You will need to retake. Banking on being the outlier is not a good strategy, and this process costs a lot of money and effort. If you actually scored a 125 in your science sections and lower on the non-science ones, then you might have had a fighters chance, but your science scores are going to set you application on fire. Retake In January or next year, invest your money in signing up for a private MCAT tutor rather than applying with a 494. As long as you can score a 500 on the test, I believe you will be able to make it in somewhere.

(African American) and a registered nurse.
a DO letter.
Check acceptance rates for black applicants. I think you'll be encouraged. DO letter makes you look good. Probably the most important is your ability to explain why you don't want to be a nurse.

Check acceptance rates for black applicants. I think you'll be encouraged. DO letter makes you look good. Probably the most important is your ability to explain why you don't want to be a nurse.
interesting..thanks for the reply!

As a medical student, once accepted, your success is our priority. The LAST thing we want is for a student to be unsuccessful, Fail school,don't pass boards, don't match for a residency, etc..The MCAT score of 494 is dismal, around 19 or 20 on old MCAT. My suggestion is to find a good Post Bac program and work as if your life depended on it. This way, you will know if medicine is where you want to be. Nobody cares if you do a Post Bac year and score 240 on Step 1 and are in top 1/3 of your class. They are only looking for excellent candidates. Lots of good post bac programs, At Still, Desmoines, LECOM. Hope this helps. Best of luck!

One more piece of opinion here for OP as if he/she needed more. I would highly suggest NP (like you mentioned) or wait and go MD. The DO seems like a poor choice at this point. Larger and larger cost for lower and lower return with increasing instability.

Hello! It's been several months since I've been on here but I wanted to update everyone that medical school is going great and I'm just going into my second semester. School is hard but I'm managing, and I keep learning how to be a better student and learner as each day goes by. I go to school with some incredible people, super smart and many of them had high GPA's and high MCAT scores (that they have openly shared with me). It seems that no matter what scores we came in with, a lot of us still have those days where we doubt our worthiness of being here and ability to be successful in medical school. We all struggle with something, even the brightest and most capable applicants and I think this is normal and makes us human. Again, this post was never meant to provide false hope to anyone- I just wanted to share my situation. Yes, boards are absolutely going to be tough. I'm just taking this med school thing one day at a time, and proving to myself that I can do this.

P.S. I never mentioned my gender- but I do find it funny that everyone assumed!

One more piece of opinion here for OP as if he/she needed more. I would highly suggest NP (like you mentioned) or wait and go MD. The DO seems like a poor choice at this point. Larger and larger cost for lower and lower return with increasing instability.

OP has already been through his/her first year of medical school. Heading for the first board exam this year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile