Accepted to schools with extremely low MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AB877

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like my post needs a disclaimer. I've read similar posts to this, and I've seen the comments. I fully recognize that my success is comparable to "winning the lotto" and I'm prepared that some of you will comment "I would seriously doubt your ability to succeed in medical school if you scored this low on your mcat".

I'm very grateful for the opportunity to become a physician, and thankful for those who saw something in my application that made them consider looking past my flaws. I recognize that I don't fit the bill of your typical applicant, and I'm not trying to give false hope to anyone with a similar situation. Take my situation with a grain of salt, but maybe this will help just one person feel a little better :)

I've received two acceptances this cycle, with an MCAT score of 492.

SDN can be a harsh place, and once you read some of the posts on this forum, it's hard to find hope when you already feel like a POS pre-med student. Hang in there and do your best!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 51 users
Congratulations!!! I'm sure it is very well deserved!

Question...how did you stand out as an applicant, and what made up for your "low" MCAT?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
How did you convince the admissions committee that an MCAT score in the 25th percentile will not translate into a major difficulty in passing your subsequent boards?

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!!! I'm sure it is very well deserved!

Question...how did you stand out as an applicant, and what made up for your "low" MCAT?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Thank you, I really appreciate it.

I grew up in a medically underserved area (did not apply as URM), and had very solid experiences with underserved populations and applied to schools that over emphasized this. I think fitting with the mission of a school can cary significant weight, as well as having a genuine passion and ability to articulate in your personal statement and secondary questions as to why D.O. and why underserved populations. My GPA was less than average, so I can't say that I had that to fall back on either. I did not do a post-bac or SMP, but I do have a masters degree and I may have some 'real life experience' that was looked upon in a positive light. I felt my interviews went well, and I was honest when asked about my MCAT score and provided a list of ways I felt I would be able to handle the rigors of medical school. I have been reading SDN for several years, and also spent many of these years comparing myself to others and feeling inadequate. I just hope that someone feeling really terrible about themselves can see that they may be better off than they think

Reactions: 33 users
You're celebrating now but wait when you start biochemistry your first week. Your professor will expect everyone to be fairly competent in many of these pathways and will probably start lecture discussing how Diabetes affects glycolysis.
I say this not to demean or troll but to tell you that you have to work hard irregardless of your MCAT score and the professors will hold everyone to the same standard, those who score in the bottom and top 25th percentile.

Reactions: 5 users
You're celebrating now but wait when you start biochemistry your first week. Your professor will expect everyone to be fairly competent in many of these pathways and will probably start lecture discussing how Diabetes affects glycolysis.
I say this not to demean or troll but to tell you that you have to work hard irregardless of your MCAT score and the professors will hold everyone to the same standard, those who score in the bottom and top 25th percentile.

I'm sorry you feel I am celebrating. I am really excited about the opportunity like anyone accepted into medical school who has spent a considerable number of years working towards this goal, but I also have a very realistic understanding of the uphill battle I'm about to face for the next few years. I absolutely agree with you, but I think this applies to everyone starting medical school, even those who do well on the MCAT.

Reactions: 43 users
Way to Kanye someone's moment.

Reactions: 150 users
Regardless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 65 users
Awesome man.

GPA?

When I applied last year, I had low 490s as well and received 1 interview which led to a waitlist. Had things been different, I would have been in medical school this year.

For those with a low MCAT score, don't give up. Drum up ur strengths and apply again. All you have to lose is time and money.

I feel like my post needs a disclaimer. I've read similar posts to this, and I've seen the comments. I fully recognize that my success is comparable to "winning the lotto" and I'm prepared that some of you will comment "I would seriously doubt your ability to succeed in medical school if you scored this low on your mcat".

I'm very grateful for the opportunity to become a physician, and thankful for those who saw something in my application that made them consider looking past my flaws. I recognize that I don't fit the bill of your typical applicant, and I'm not trying to give false hope to anyone with a similar situation. Take my situation with a grain of salt, but maybe this will help just one person feel a little better :)

I've received two acceptances this cycle, with an MCAT score of 492.

SDN can be a harsh place, and once you read some of the posts on this forum, it's hard to find hope when you already feel like a POS pre-med student. Hang in there and do your best!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can't we all just get along?

giphy.gif

Reactions: 15 users
Excuses excuses...
2017 Application Cycle
MCAT: 519 - 521 | GPA: 3.95-4.0 | Trad | Non-URM (White Pakistani)
As of 2/13:
II: 3 | WL: 1 | A: 2 (All MD)
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
2017 Application Cycle
MCAT: 519 - 521 | GPA: 3.95-4.0 | Trad | Non-URM (White Pakistani)
As of 2/13:
II: 3 | WL: 1 | A: 2 (All MD)

giphy.gif
lol I'd feel inadequate if that 521 was for a retake after getting a 519 :uhno:

a61.jpg

Reactions: 31 users
skljdhfksdf

Last edited:

Putting aside the somewhat rude nature of this post, are professors actually going to expect us to be competent in things like the glycolysis pathway? Everything I've read makes it seem like the first month or so of med school is a review of the basics, and they ease you into the harder stuff.

Reactions: 1 users
Putting aside the somewhat rude nature of this post, are professors actually going to expect us to be competent in things like the glycolysis pathway? Everything I've read makes it seem like the first month or so of med school is a review of the basics, and they ease you into the harder stuff.

Don't stress about it.

There are a LOT of pathways you'll need to know.. Don't know about glycolysis; but you don't need the Krebs cycle, thank Gawd. Pick up a copy of the Lippincott review of Biochemistry.

Reactions: 11 users
There are a LOT of pathways you'll need to know.. Don't know about glycolysis; but you don't need the Krebs cycle, thank Gawd. Pick up a copy of the Lippincott review of Biochemistry.
When you say "know pathways"... How in depth should we go? just the major molecules involved? Or everything relating to these molecules and how they interact (Organic Chemistry type interactions) ?

eff it, just pre-study for step 1, 2 CK, CS, COMLEX, orals, re-licensure

Reactions: 14 users
I'm sorry you feel I am celebrating. I am really excited about the opportunity like anyone accepted into medical school who has spent a considerable number of years working towards this goal, but I also have a very realistic understanding of the uphill battle I'm about to face for the next few years. I absolutely agree with you, but I think this applies to everyone starting medical school, even those who do well on the MCAT.

You should be celebrating. Nothing wrong with that. Work hard, don't take it for granted.

It varies significantly depending on the school. My school for example started with the first couple chapters of Gray's, which I had never covered. It doesn't matter. You don't need previous info in med school, it just makes parts of it easier. Everyone comes in with different previous experienced. For the most part it barely separates people. Your own effort and ability to prioritize/study efficiently will determine that.

Awesome man.

GPA?

When I applied last year, I had low 490s as well and received 1 interview which led to a waitlist. Had things been different, I would have been in medical school this year.

For those with a low MCAT score, don't give up. Drum up ur strengths and apply again. All you have to lose is time and money.

My science and cumulative GPA were both ~3.4. Again, nothing spectacular

Congrats on getting accepted! Admittedly, when I first took the MCAT (the old one) I got a 19. Took it 3-4 times after that (which I should not have at all) with an uphill trend. Took the new MCAT-2015 and got a 500, and I also have two acceptances!! I can definitely relate to your situation... congrats to both of us!

Reactions: 8 users
Congrats on getting accepted! Admittedly, when I first took the MCAT (the old one) I got a 19. Took it 3-4 times after that (which I should not have at all) with an uphill trend. Took the new MCAT-2015 and got a 500, and I also have two acceptances!! I can definitely relate to your situation... congrats to both of us!
Congratulations! I'm sure you will make an incredible physician, and your perseverance towards reaching this goal is admirable. Best of luck with everything!

Congratulations! I'm sure you will make an incredible physician, and your perseverance towards reaching this goal is admirable. Best of luck with everything!

Thank you! I'm sure you will be too. Congrats.

I am an outlier as well, but in different ways. I think that once you pass the initial screenings, the way you present yourself and your story means much more than your stats :).

Last edited:
Congrats OP! It'd be easy for someone to say with that MCAT you're likely to struggle, but if a school thought enough of you to accept you then who are we to argue with them?

For starters, like this:

"A patient has X, Y and Z symptoms. The disease is caused by a defect in which pathway? A, B, C...E"

When you say "know pathways"... How in depth should we go? just the major molecules involved? Or everything relating to these molecules and how they interact (Organic Chemistry type interactions) ?

Congrats OP! It'd be easy for someone to say with that MCAT you're likely to struggle, but if a school thought enough of you to accept you then who are we to argue with them?
Thanks very much! I appreciate the kind words :)

Isn't that like a 20-22 on the old MCAT?

My classmates who had <24 aren't in school anymore.

OP, I'm not trying to discourage you. It just sucked seeing some of my classmates struggle and eventually give up or get kicked out.

If you're dead set on this journey then make sure you REALLY work hard and fix any weaknesses.

Last edited:
I also know of 2 people who were part of the dual enrollment BS/DO who managed to score the min (24 at the time) and failed out.

OP, I'm not trying to discourage you. It just sucked seeing some of my classmates struggle and eventually give up or get kicked out.

If you're dead set on this journey then make sure you REALLY work hard and fix any weaknesses.

And I am sure there were classmates with 22 who ended up becoming doctors.

I know personally three people who got into a podiatry school with 16 MCAT scores and now they are doing total reconstructive ankle surgery. These people were at schools that took classes side by side with DO students, the only difference being OMT vs Practices of Podiatry the first two years.

Low MCAT is just a number. Don't let a number dictate your life.

Reactions: 15 users
And I am sure there were classmates with 22 who ended up becoming doctors.

I know personally three people who got into a podiatry school with 16 MCAT scores and now they are doing total reconstructive ankle surgery. These people were at schools that took classes side by side with DO students, the only difference being OMT vs Practices of Podiatry the first two years.

Low MCAT is just a number. Don't let a number dictate your life.

Seriously though, this is the DO Pre-Med sub-forum. You've been clearly waving the Podiatry flag long enough to no longer be "Field Undecided".

Reactions: 3 users
Seriously though, this is the DO Pre-Med sub-forum. You've been clearly waving the Podiatry flag long enough to no longer be "Field Undecided".

Who knows, I may be a dental student by the time its all said and done ;)

I have a classmate with a 22 who doing well. I agree that it's difficult but don't let it define you. Especially if you got an acceptance

For starters, like this:

"A patient has X, Y and Z symptoms. The disease is caused by a defect in which pathway? A, B, C...E"

Oh, so essentially the clinical aspect of these pathways... makes sense!

Congrats, OP.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous of your interviewing skills. Be extremely grateful that you have that ability! :)

Best of luck!

I think in general people on SDN like sh**ing on those with underwhelming scores, some rightfully so (like a 19 MCAT applying to DO school = no bueno). In your case, since you have a master's that to me holds a lot of sway and especially if you did well in it. Are you on average at a higher risk of failing out? Sure. I just saw another poster, though, who had score a 33 but withdrew from their MD school for an undisclosed personal reason. I bring this up only to say that that 22--to me--is not a definitive end-all-be-all of your med school, and you obviously know that and so do others.

That being said, I cannot stress enough to others reading that OP is the outlier. He has a M.S. and probably other outstanding aspects to his app, including great interview skills. Maybe he's really into jesus and was accpeted to UIW, maybe he is from the area of a nearby school and that gave him the edge. No matter, he got in and he earned it.

Anyways, good on ya OP and congrats. I had a 497 MCAT, but had above-average parts to my application, including stellar LORs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
I would celebrate if I were OP. Congrats! Don't let anyone rain on your parade! You know what's in store for you, but once again congrats!

:bow: Crack open a cold one for pulling that off. You possibly just had bad day at the office on test day. Doesn't necessarily mean your not good at science. Get those test taking skills up before boards and prove they made a good choice by choosing you.

Reactions: 3 users
I think in general people on SDN like sh**ing on those with underwhelming scores, some rightfully so (like a 19 MCAT applying to DO school = no bueno). In your case, since you have a master's that to me holds a lot of sway and especially if you did well in it. Are you on average at a higher risk of failing out? Sure. I just saw another poster, though, who had score a 33 but withdrew from their MD school for an undisclosed personal reason. I bring this up only to say that that 22--to me--is not a definitive end-all-be-all of your med school, and you obviously know that and so do others.

That being said, I cannot stress enough to others reading that OP is the outlier. He has a M.S. and probably other outstanding aspects to his app, including great interview skills. Maybe he's really into jesus and was accpeted to UIW, maybe he is from the area of a nearby school and that gave him the edge. No matter, he got in and he earned it.

Anyways, good on ya OP and congrats. I had a 497 MCAT, but had above-average parts to my application, including stellar LORs.

Thank you, agree with all of this. Yes, there was clearly something on my application that made admissions look past my horrendous MCAT score. Did I have stellar LORs, a really strong personal statement? I think so, but can't say for sure. I think my point is that besides my mcat score, I always saw myself as average. I think there's a lot of students out there that underestimate themselves, but maybe they have something admissions are looking for.

Yep, I sure will!

:bow: Crack open a cold one for pulling that off. You possibly just had bad day at the office on test day. Doesn't necessarily mean your not good at science. Get those test taking skills up before boards and prove they made a good choice by choosing you.
Thank you, I wholeheartedly believe it was just a really terrible test day. I will do my best! Thanks for the encouragement