Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by shoeclothes, Sep 1, 2002.
Accepted URM only, please post your stats and med school
I know a girl in my med school class who is 1/2 Mexican (considered Mexican American for application purposes) who was admitted to Tufts and off the waitlist (too late for her to go) to Arizona, her state school. These are the only two schools to which she applied with a 3.4 from UA and 29 MCAT, and she was also recruited by Harvard (she did not return the application). I can't tell you the stats of the URM's in my class at Tufts since I don't go around asking them, but they all seem to have gone to great undergrad institutions (better than where I went for the most part) and are really cool and smart. I don't know how to put things better than that, so I apologize if that came out offensive in any way or if I pissed you off by posting as a non-URM. Here is the info I have on all the URM students at Tufts:
1) 1/4 Mexican-American male, Alaska resident, Gustavus Aldolphus College in Minnesota, took MCAT twice.
2) Mexican-American male, CA resident, UCLA undergrad
3) African-American female, CA resident, Stanford undergrad, admitted from waitlist in late May.
4) African-American female, MA resident, Tufts undergrad (but not guarenteed med program). took a year off.
5) African-American female, NY resident, NYU undergrad.
6) African-American male, Nigerian descent, CA resident, UCSD undergrad
7) African-American female, Arkansas resident, Stanford undergrad.
8) AA female, NJ resident, Rutgers undergrad, 2 years off (and told me she would have liked to take another year off to travel and chill)
9) AA female, NY resident, Harvard undergrad
10) AA female, FL resident, Barry University
11) AA female, NY resident, CUNY-Staten Island, some grad work and took a year off
12) AA female, CA resident, Stanford undergrad
I hope this is some help to you in deciding whether or not you would like to apply to Tufts (since the school unfortunately isn't known for recruiting URM's). Sorry I don't know their stats.
3.98 GOA, 37MCAT and acepted to Keck.
Are there any more URM out there?
Jalby, if you don't mind my asking, are you Mexican-American? I'm surprised you only got into 1 school (albeit an awesome school) with those stats, but this process is such a crapshoot that who knows. My friend at Tufts is 1/4 Mexican and from Alaska, and he did not get into his home school (UWSOM) or the school in the state where he went to college (lovely Minnesota), so who knows.. I think he was a good student too..
Umm..did you really expect an overwhelming response?
I expected a few high 30 MCAT 3.9 GPA non-AA URMs to post though.
3.5 GPA/30M MCAT. Going to Columbia. Also accepted at Albany, SLU, MCPH (now Drexel), Keck.
Waitlisted at my state school (UWSOM).
There was a thread with all the URM acceptances from last year. I'm searching for it, but haven't found it yet.
Don't people have better things to do than play the numbers game? Admissions are so arbitrary that it doesn't matter.
It's only human nature to want to compare. It's a harmless confidence booster and/or reality check. Last year's SDNers did lots of stats comparing. I've been surprised at how little there's been this year. Anyone who doesn't want to take part can just stay away. Admissions are admittedly somewhat arbitrary, but not completely so.
Still haven't found that thread (I have a lot of time on my hands, recovering from bilateral bunionectomies ), but I did find several threads from last year asking for accepted URM stats (do a search for URMs in the past year, pre-allo forum). They got about the same response this one is getting.
What are you implying?
Here's the longest thread
that resulted when this question was asked last year. Warning: major unpleasantness flag!
I'm sorry, but I can't stand the what are your stats threads. (Has nothing to do with URM) I just feel people who are out for this are only looking to boost their self worth and it contributes nothing to the board. Stats don't mean anything (SMW is a great case. She got in everywhere with what some people would say is average stats). I also hate it that a person has one post and it's "What is everybodies stats???"