Acceptees: What grade did YOU earn in Organic Chemistry?

Started by BigRedMPH
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRedMPH

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
...just curious to see if there's any validity to the myth that med schools separate "those who got As in orgo" versus "everyone else."
 
...just curious to see if there's any validity to the myth that med schools separate "those who got As in orgo" versus "everyone else."

What "myth" is this? Never heard it...

BCPM GPA is "separated" from the overall GPA...O-Chem has the reputation as the #1 pre-med weed out class, etc...but I have never heard of any one class being pivotal in the admissions process...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I made As in my ochem courses. But I also have a friend who didn't and she's in medical school right now.
 
Excellent. I have a lor from an organic professor saying I am extremely awesome at organic chemistry. Perhaps this means I will get into Harvard.

Everyone's a comedian and/or a cynic on these forums. The OP asked a legit ?. I've heard from a premed advisor that SOME medical schools do look very closely at Ochem grades.

Not accepted, but I have had 8 interviews and I received A's in both lectures and labs.
 
I got A's in orgo and lab and have been accepted, but I personally think this is a pretty dumb myth. Besides... there is probably a correlation between getting A's in orgo and MCAT score, cummulative GPA, BPCM GPA, etc. So even if there was any "truth" to that myth, it would be more complicated then just looking at an Orgo grade.

I personally know several people who have gotten acceptances without A's in Orgo (and other classes), so don't worry!
 
2 acceptances, B- first semester, C+ second, A- in lab. Pretty sure getting an A in orgo is not the route to a med school acceptance...
 
I havent been accepted yet, but I have been very fortunate in respect to interviews. I got a B+ and a C+ in Orgo in first and second semester, respectively. I guess my claim will be more valid if I can land an acceptance, but I believe there are much more important things to look at than your Orgo grades.

I have an upward trend in my grades and did well on the bio section of the mcat, so I dont think that you can get blacklisted without A's in Orgo.
 
B-, B, B (class and labs were combined)...and I'm accepted! you'll be fine, just try to do well in all your oher science courses
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Orgo 1 = B
Orgo 2 = C
Orgo Lab = A

i can spell the alphabet using organic chemistry.

one acceptance so far, 4 interviews
 
How does it look for someone who got C's in Pchem I/II

but an A and B in orgo I/II a year later?

does the higher grade in orgo negate the poor Pchem performance to some extent?
 
Organic 1 = A , Organic 1 Lab = A, Organic 2 = A, Organic 2 Lab = B, Organic 3 = A-

Biochem 1 = A, Biochem 2= A
😀
 
oh yeah i forgot to add that i took biochem after orgo 2, and i got a B...so thats better than a C
 
A in organic I
C+ in organic II
A in advanced organic I
A+ in advanced organic II
A's in all my biochemistry classes (about 8 of them)

I had to take the upper level organic classes for my degree.
 
How does it look for someone who got C's in Pchem I/II

but an A and B in orgo I/II a year later?

does the higher grade in orgo negate the poor Pchem performance to some extent?
I feel your woes. I did pitifully on my first pchem exam and then lost 14 points on the second (I would have had a extremely high grade) because i forgot T in the denominator of my entropy reaction. This was just an example of my pain for you 😉. To answer the question. I don't think there is a correlation. If there was, that'd make me happy because I did fantabulous in organic. Chem/Biochem/Etc Chem majors get the shaft, yet again 😉.
 
2 acceptances, B- first semester, C+ second, A- in lab. Pretty sure getting an A in orgo is not the route to a med school acceptance...
Congrats on Jeff! I'm jealous. I was looking at your MDapps and it appears what they said about volunteer work/clinical time really is important to them. Plus, you rocked the MCAT. I'll ask you for pointers over the summer 😉.
 
How does it look for someone who got C's in Pchem I/II

but an A and B in orgo I/II a year later?

does the higher grade in orgo negate the poor Pchem performance to some extent?

I didn't think you would take Pchems before organics. Generally I've seen p chm 1/2 follow organic 1/2, mostly because almost nobody takes pchem. I dont know for sure, but at least it's an upward trend and all. In my opinion though, both Pchems are conceptually much more difficult than anything you learn in undergrad organic.

I had a C+ / C for organics 1/2 and B+ in lab during my freshman year. But I had an A in Pchem 1, and probably an A in pchem 2(taking now), and an A in some bioorganic courses. Hopefully I can redeem myself with some more organic oriented graduate courses. There's this organic polymers course I wanted to take...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all, first post! I received A's in Organic 1-3 (Quarter System) and an A- and an A in Labs 1 and 2, respectively. One acceptance
 
I didn't think you would take Pchems before organics. Generally I've seen p chm 1/2 follow organic 1/2, mostly because almost nobody takes pchem. I dont know for sure, but at least it's an upward trend and all. In my opinion though, both Pchems are conceptually much more difficult than anything you learn in undergrad organic.

I had a C+ / C for organics 1/2 and B+ in lab during my freshman year. But I had an A in Pchem 1, and probably an A in pchem 2(taking now), and an A in some bioorganic courses. Hopefully I can redeem myself with some more organic oriented graduate courses. There's this organic polymers course I wanted to take...

wait...i think i made a mistake...is general chemistry the same as physical chemistry...at rutgers ive heard people use the terms interchangeably. So yeah...i took Gchem with a god awful professor and had some family issues going on during that year. it sucks because looking back i know i could've gotten A's in that class if my head was just in the game yaknow
 
Orgo 1 = C
Orgo 2 = A-
Labs = B+

5 acceptances. It can be done.
 
wait...i think i made a mistake...is general chemistry the same as physical chemistry...at rutgers ive heard people use the terms interchangeably. So yeah...i took Gchem with a god awful professor and had some family issues going on during that year. it sucks because looking back i know i could've gotten A's in that class if my head was just in the game yaknow
They aren't the same, and neither is true inorganic/general chemistry. Physical chemistry looks at the macroscopic properties of systems and allows you to evaluate and tabulate the properties (thermodynamics). There is also quantum mechanics which I know nothing about. General chemistry is an introduction to the chemical sciences where as "true" inorganic is look at that periodic table sans carbon, oxygen, and nitrogen in organic systems. It looks at bonding, molecular orbitals, periodic trends. However, general/inorganic seem to be used interchangeably. Peeves me a bit because they truly aren't which anyone that has taken both will be able to confirm for me.
 
A in both lectures and labs. A in biochem lectures and lab. A- in PChem.

Two acceptances, one waitlist, and six interviews (hopefully not total).
 
They aren't the same, and neither is true inorganic/general chemistry. Physical chemistry looks at the macroscopic properties of systems and allows you to evaluate and tabulate the properties (thermodynamics). There is also quantum mechanics which I know nothing about. General chemistry is an introduction to the chemical sciences where as "true" inorganic is look at that periodic table sans carbon, oxygen, and nitrogen in organic systems. It looks at bonding, molecular orbitals, periodic trends. However, general/inorganic seem to be used interchangeably. Peeves me a bit because they truly aren't which anyone that has taken both will be able to confirm for me.

yeah sorry for the confusion...

we did enough thermo in GC that i just got sick of it after awhile. Orgo was much more fun and enjoyable (i know i sound like a nerd)
 
Nah, its more related to the life sciences than genchem. You'll probably enjoy biochem... its not as bad as everyone makes it sound (but then again I'm partial).

already took biochem...got a B in it

had a professor that looked like the walrus from woody woodpecker...that alone made it enjoyable.
 
hiya

hmmm..one of my LORs was from my orgo professor... i got an A through both semesters and in the lab...but i never heard of such a rumor🙂...:laugh::laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1st semester: B lecture, B+ intro lab
2nd semester: A lecture, A advanced lab

Five interview invites, one acceptance
 
B in Org I, A in Org II...

It is practically useless in medical school, however. I guess ADCOMs see if you can handle a "difficult" class.
 
A in organic I
C+ in organic II
A in advanced organic I
A+ in advanced organic II
A's in all my biochemistry classes (about 8 of them)

I had to take the upper level organic classes for my degree.

Damn you you smart bastard. I took orgo I and was doing great. But then I got laid off and was hired back on for a different dept. (ER of all places) so i had to work crazy hours👎. As a result of that, my precious A in orgo went sour.😡
 
A+ in Orgo I and II and their respective labs (one grade for both lec/lab at my undergrad)

A in orgo III lec/lab

organic is the best thing ever.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.