Accepting a spot at more then one school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loserman

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If and when you get multipule acceptances, can you send in your deposit to more then one school and hold it simultanously? Or do you have to withdraw one to accept the other? What if you don't what can they do to you and how well they found out? And how long do you have until say they find out?

Members don't see this ad.

Most places, you can hold more than one acceptance until May 15th. This gives you some time to actually put some thought as to where you'd like to spend the next four years of your life, as well as hear about financial aid. Though if you're sure you don't want to go to a particular school, it's polite withdraw sooner rather than later and give someone else a break in the waiting game! :)

Originally posted by qac DO
If and when you get multipule acceptances, can you send in your deposit to more then one school and hold it simultanously? Or do you have to withdraw one to accept the other? What if you don't what can they do to you and how well they found out? And how long do you have until say they find out?

You can hold multiple acceptances until May 15. After that date, schools will know where you have been accepted. They'll probably warn you first about holding multiple spots before doing anything to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools will refund the matriculation fee prior to May 15. But I thought the schools will know (where we hold acceptances) by April 15. Am I wrong?

Originally posted by jalan2
Most schools will refund the matriculation fee prior to May 15. But I thought the schools will know (where we hold acceptances) by April 15. Am I wrong?

they refund the fees?!? for real?!? :D you just made my day!

I think he meant just refund the fees to hold your spot in a class. So you guys are saying I can send in my money and hold a place at every school that accepts me all the way till may, will I shop around for the best product. And I can get my money back from the ones I decide not to go to. Now I can payback all those schools for making me wait so long I can make them wait until I decide. Na, that wouldn't be nice for people waitlisted like myself at some schools that they really want to go there, just a cool idea though.

Originally posted by qac DO
I think he meant just refund the fees to hold your spot in a class. So you guys are saying I can send in my money and hold a place at every school that accepts me all the way till may, will I shop around for the best product. And I can get my money back from the ones I decide not to go to. Now I can payback all those schools for making me wait so long I can make them wait until I decide. Na, that wouldn't be nice for people waitlisted like myself at some schools that they really want to go there, just a cool idea though.

that's what i thought he meant....don't worry, i'm not delusional enough to think they refund the application fees :)

Not sure what the significance of the "DO" in your name is, but be aware that osteopathic schools have their own way of doing things. I think they require larger deposits, and their deposit are non-refundable or maybe only refundable for a short period of time. But if you're only applying to MD schools, you'll get your deposits back.

Unfortunately, there are a few MD schools that don't refund deposits, but most do. I learned this last year while I was applying. Read the fine print when they offer you a spot. All MD schools will be able to see where you are holding acceptances as soon as AMCAS gets the information together (last year most schools knew in March, and a few in February) but they aren't supposed to act on it unless you are coming up on the May 15th deadline and holding multiple acceptances. If you haven't released your multiple acceptances by early May, some schools will send letters/emails/phone calls to remind you to do so.

Of course...none of the AAMC "suggestions" apply to schools like NYU and Columbia.