Is more then 50 hrs shadowing necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

systematicX

Reaction score
If you have 2500hrs of clinical hours is 50 hrs of shadowing enough? It’s my understanding that both are needed, but do you think I am lacking in shadowing hours given the amount of clinical experience I have? Just trying to make sure I don’t have any weaknesses in my application. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

It's a bit weird that you have a ton of clinical hours but less than 100 hours with a doctor. I'm sure you can eke some hours from your clinical hours. Not a red flag though. Every hour is a good hour.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's a bit weird that you have a ton of clinical hours but less than 100 hours with a doctor. I'm sure you can eke some hours from your clinical hours. Not a red flag though. Every hour is a good hour.
Sorry for the lack of details- I have about 1500hrs from being a volunteer EMT and the rest from working directly with a doctor (which includes some of those shadowing hrs). Glad to hear it’s not a deal breaker! Thanks

The working with a doctor is shadowing, completely. Plus EMT work beats simple shadowing any day-- that's hands on experience. You're fine.

Reactions: 1 user
IMHO, 50 hours of shadowing is fine. Over and above shadowing, one needs clinical experiences with patients and EMT is a fine experience in that regard. Employment by a physician, while not in the shadowing bucket on the application, also provides a valuable experience that the adcom will take into consideration.

Reactions: 3 users
The working with a doctor is shadowing, completely. Plus EMT work beats simple shadowing any day-- that's hands on experience. You're fine.
Not all "working with doctors" is "shadowing". The goal of shadowing is to see the whole day of a doctors life- how much time they spend with patients, what other parts of their job look like.

If you're working with doctors and only seeing them with patients, that's great clinical experience, but I'd be careful about calling it "shadowing".

Reactions: 1 users