Access to healthcare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

As a future healthcare provider, how will you help the poor better access health care

• Open Free Clinics

Votes: 37 35.6%
  • Be involved in State/Federal legislature

Votes: 42 40.4%
  • Work in hospital/hospice setting

Votes: 39 37.5%
  • I do not care ( I just want to make as much money as I can)

Votes: 14 13.5%

• Total voters

gildas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want to know what you guys think about the situation on the fact that many people in this country do not have any type of health care insurance and struggle to pay for madical care. And how do you plan on helping alleviate the situation as a future healthcare provider?

Members don't see this ad.

There should have been a none of the above option......

Well there are some of us who frankly don't care but aren't in it just for the paycheck....I'm in it because it amuses me. The paycheck is just a fringe benefit.

Members don't see this ad :)
This mean-spirited conservative doesn't care. But I'll probably work in a hospital, so what option do I choose?

This mean-spirited conservative doesn't care. But I'll probably work in a hospital, so what option do I choose?

Nice to know some of us want to be involved.

By The Way, Does Any Of You Guys Think That Universal Healthcare System Can Be Implemented Under The Democrats?

I just want to know what you guys think about the situation on the fact that many people in this country do not have any type of health care insurance and struggle to pay for madical care. And how do you plan on helping alleviate the situation as a future healthcare provider?

Um, I wish some of the people who we treat in the ED would struggle to pay for their medical care. "Self pay" is a code word for "Can afford cigarettes, beer, cocaine, and a cell phone but recoil at the very idea of paying for luxury items like a twenty dollar inhaler for their child's asthma which they exacerbate by smoking in the house."

Jeez, buddy. Shut up. The Emergency Department is a free clinic.

Wait a few years. It's a calling until you actually start doing call. Somewhere around the first or second week of intern year, at the very latest, you will look around and see that most of the health care crisis is the result of and the majority of the money spent on health care goes to treat the results of bad personal choices.

I'm not saying that we don't need to treat folks, just that you will get a lot less self-righteous about people asking you to work for nothing.

Like I always say. Pre-meds are passionate about medicine. Residents are passionate about their days off.

My wife and i would actually love to visit Zimbabwe or some other African country to open a free clinic for a month or so. I think that would be awesome!

By The Way, Does Any Of You Guys Think That Universal Healthcare System Can Be Implemented Under The Democrats?
No, and for the love of Christ I hope it is not.

No, I don't think it's gonna be possible. But I wish that it did happen because I'm not a big fan of U.S. health care.

it is a combination of all of the above among many other things. opening free clinics only treats the symptoms not the disease. further, changing current legislature and whatnot can only help so much when the power often lies in the hospitals themselves (especially the private ones). this is a part of the joy of a healthcare system in a capatialist society.

personally i think the best start is to have a governmentally created drive funding preventative medicine for the poor. costs are low but the benefits are high. even this is a lofty aspiration as it does reek of a national health service (which many people will fight tooth and nail against), but that might just be the point. when the publc gets used to funding preventative medicine, then it is just a small step further to fund more and more. again though, this does go against many major tenants (tenents?) of US society...

if i had the solution, i wouldn't be premed

I agree. Preventive medicine has the best cost/benefit analysis. Problem is with the patients. People are resistant to that kind of stuff, they don't like to be told to change their lifestyles at all. Even in the midst of the "obesity crisis" patients don't want to hear it. No matter which way you feel about it though, this is a good question to ponder. Lots of med schools say they don't want to know how you'd fix the system because if you had the answer you would go into legislature rather than medicine, but I still got the question a few times last year.