Healthcare strategy and innovation focus - need some application advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plutomed

Reaction score
Hi all! I am an undergrad and am not applying this cycle, but want to get some advice as far as what to add to my application. I am especially worried that my experiences aren't going to tie back to why I want to be a doctor. The "theme" of my application (I recognize it is super broad and vague) revolves around healthcare strategy and innovation. A lot of the things I have done are related to health policy and actual implementation of research across health systems, as well as healthtech and the social-impact startup world. I have worked with/published quite a bit with several labs at top institutions. I am not worried about the caliber of my ECs as much as how it all ties back to showing med schools why I want to be a physician. From some people's perspective, it may seem I am poised to become a healthcare consultant or get a MHA and be a hospital executive lol.

That said, I have a few experiences with underserved populations that I am hoping I can milk: 500 hours as a patient care tech at a local free clinic, 200 hours as a volunteer music teacher, and 600 hours with national non-profit (albeit in a leadership position, but still interacting with people hands-on for most of those hours). Note these hours will be a little higher when I apply. What would you recommend I add to this list? I am hoping for an activity that can kind of tie it all together: the health strategy/innovation with being a physician. Need to really bring it home. Some ideas I had include launching a local free health camp/screening or developing and implementing some kind of health education curriculum for local underserved populations. Maybe I am overthinking this and should just rack up more clinical hours lol. Have any of you previous/current adcoms come across applicants that fit this same general narrative? Would love some insight. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Obviously you are withholding details that can doxx you, so any advice I can give will be respectfully limited.

I'm not a fan of starting anything new (like a NPO) during an application cycle. I don't think you would be serious in a proper transition to the challenging life of a medical student.

Hours are part of the evaluation of your application. Quality matters too. But once these are clear, mission fit becomes paramount. You could have designed the best mousetrap, but it's useless if I want a springform pan. Alignment with schools determines your success in this process. From what I can read, you have yet to do that homework.

Are you teachable and can assume a humble low-totem-pole position when you have to respect others of higher rank or greater experience? Can others find value in what you do? Can you truly give up these projects in order to buckle down on memorizing anatomy or biochemistry?

You won't get a chance at these scholar tracks in innovation or other hackathons if you cannot pass first year classes, period. You cannot appreciate strategy or policy without significant time on the front lines with patients, and this is where you need to be first (I posit this is your argument, so show us that you can work on the front lines).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you want to be a physician?
In short it is because more than anything I love that individual patient-provider relationship. Being able to work through a problem with an individual and help them feel better. Yes, I do love the business side and working on making systemic changes that can potentially impact thousands of patients (and that claim is heavily backed by my application), but above all I just love that individual interaction.

Do you think that just saying that is enough? Or do you think I need more than just 4-500 clinical hours and some service by adding another activity to round it all out?

Obviously you are withholding details that can doxx you, so any advice I can give will be respectfully limited.

I'm not a fan of starting anything new (like a NPO) during an application cycle. I don't think you would be serious in a proper transition to the challenging life of a medical student.

Hours are part of the evaluation of your application. Quality matters too. But once these are clear, mission fit becomes paramount. You could have designed the best mousetrap, but it's useless if I want a springform pan. Alignment with schools determines your success in this process. From what I can read, you have yet to do that homework.

Are you teachable and can assume a humble low-totem-pole position when you have to respect others of higher rank or greater experience? Can others find value in what you do? Can you truly give up these projects in order to buckle down on memorizing anatomy or biochemistry?

You won't get a chance at these scholar tracks in innovation or other hackathons if you cannot pass first year classes, period. You cannot appreciate strategy or policy without significant time on the front lines with patients, and this is where you need to be first (I posit this is your argument, so show us that you can work on the front lines).
Thank you for the advice @Mr.Smile12 . If you don't mind me asking, what resources would you recommend using to "do that homework" and find out more about each school's particular mission? Outside of the mission statements, are there any good resources beyond SDN threads and the MSAR?

I love that individual patient-provider relationship. Being able to work through a problem with an individual and help them feel better.
Forgive the obvious question: why not nursing? You'll have more connection with patients as a provider than a doctor/physician, especially if you want to be more in an administrative position. There are many instances where the patient really doesn't want a relationship with you, so I'm not sure how you would manage those situations. Nurses also are part of healthcare administration, including C-suite positions.

My signature has a link to Becoming a Student Doctor, which has resources to build leadership insights about the future of healthcare and the competencies needed for those who want to become professionals. Considering a lot of discussions over the years here and in the articles, we include some highlights about the challenges of the business of healthcare. I think I show examples of how specific programs expand on their mission so that you can look for similar programs among the schools on your list.

Policy, social impact and healthcare technology. If that is the area you want to pursue, then most admissions officers will doubt why you need an MD. Why not a MHA, MPH or MBA? Or combination thereof?

Your arguments should focus on why being a physician will help you become a better entrepreneur, administrator or policy maker. Good luck

Reactions: 2 users
What experiences have you had to substantiate this love?
Really the only two that really exemplify this are working as a Patient Care Technician (500 hours) and as a volunteer music teacher (200 hours). I interned with a large NGO as a health promotion intern (230 hours) and had a bit of patient interaction, as well as work in a leadership position at a different large national NGO, but there isn't a ton of "patient interaction."

Will this be seen as enough? Perhaps if I can really describe how these experiences on the "front lines" influenced how I went about my work with policy, social impact and health tech?

Really the only two that really exemplify this are working as a Patient Care Technician (500 hours) and as a volunteer music teacher (200 hours). I interned with a large NGO as a health promotion intern (230 hours) and had a bit of patient interaction, as well as work in a leadership position at a different large national NGO, but there isn't a ton of "patient interaction."
Okay, let me rephrase my query a little bit.

Can you give me an anecdote that illustrates your love for the individual patient-provider relationship?

• Love

Healthcare strategy and innovation focus​

Those are good for MD/MBA and you apply for MBA in 3 year of medicine at most schools. Focus on why you want to be physician and back it up with relevant experiences.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user