Accidental "W" on my transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted895369

My school offers a 2-week trial period for adding and dropping classes with no W on your transcript. I had originally registered for an accelerated philosophy course (just to satisfy gen-ed requirements), but decided that I wasn't a fan of the class. I dropped the class two days after it started and replaced it with a communications course. Unfortunately, I now have a "W" on my transcript for the philosophy course, because I was told that there is no add-drop period for accelerated courses. However, I could not find any information on this add-drop policy on the website, in the syllabus, or in the course catalog. Now I'm stuck with a "W" on my transcript, and I don't want it to reflect badly on me especially since it's my senior year.

Will this be a problem or am I just being neurotic?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure how it may affect, but sounds like certainly a learning curve for others.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of acceptees I know and myself have a couple Ws too; you’re fine don’t sweat it.

Reactions: 1 users
I had two Ws on my transcripts, both in science pre-reqs, one of which was during my junior year. Never asked about it during interviews. It's not a big deal at all.

Reactions: 2 users
At my undergrad institution (T-20) it was told to us that a W looked very bad for medical school. There are a LOT of misconceptions given out to pre-meds.

• Sad
My school offers a 2-week trial period for adding and dropping classes with no W on your transcript. I had originally registered for an accelerated philosophy course (just to satisfy gen-ed requirements), but decided that I wasn't a fan of the class. I dropped the class two days after it started and replaced it with a communications course. Unfortunately, I now have a "W" on my transcript for the philosophy course, because I was told that there is no add-drop period for accelerated courses. However, I could not find any information on this add-drop policy on the website, in the syllabus, or in the course catalog. Now I'm stuck with a "W" on my transcript, and I don't want it to reflect badly on me especially since it's my senior year.

Will this be a problem or am I just being neurotic?
Yes, you are being neurotic, but if there is nothing in writing anywhere regarding the school's policy regarding dropping accelerated classes during the drop/add period (as opposed to you just not seeing it or knowing where to look), you have an excellent case to bring to the registrar to have your W removed if it bothers you.

At my undergrad institution (T-20) it was told to us that a W looked very bad for medical school. There are a LOT of misconceptions given out to pre-meds.

Yeah that’s definitely not true. This is why premed advisors get a bad name. It seems like a prereq for the job is knowing nothing about med school admissions.