Accidentally listed the wrong start year for an AMCAS activity. Should I update schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jinnpark_premed

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently realized that I may have entered the wrong start year for one of my clinical employment activities on AMCAS. I listed the activity as starting a year earlier than it actually did (e.g., 2020 instead of 2021).

The total number of hours I reported is still accurate, as are the activity description and responsibilities. It was genuinely an accidental date-entry/memory error, and I only noticed it after some secondaries.

Since AMCAS won’t let me edit the Work/Activities section after submission, should I email every school I applied to with a correction? Or is this minor enough that I should only clarify it if a school asks?

I’m worried that proactively correcting it could unnecessarily draw attention to the mistake, but I also don’t want a discrepancy in my application to look dishonest if it comes up later. Has anyone dealt with something similar, or heard what admissions offices/advisors recommend?
 
Last edited:
We are deep into Error Season, those warm summer months when the innumerable mistakes and typos of 50,000 AMCAS applications are uncovered.

Schools have a hard enough time processing what is submitted. They are also very familiar with the fact that data entry errors happen, and that if you look hard enough you will find a mistake in every app. Don't waste their time (or yours) updating over something so utterly inconsequential.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If a program has an issue, let them contact you about it.
Thank you for the advice. I’m planning to leave it alone unless a school asks about it. My only lingering concern is whether this could become an issue later if I’m accepted somewhere and the school verifies my activities and discovers the date discrepancy. Could it affect my admission if the discrepancy were perceived as dishonesty, as we did have to attest that all information we submitted are correct?

Some schools also ask applicants to submit a CV. In those cases, should I list the correct start date on my CV, even if it differs from the date on my AMCAS application?
 
We are deep into Error Season, those warm summer months when the innumerable mistakes and typos of 50,000 AMCAS applications are uncovered.

Schools have a hard enough time processing what is submitted. They are also very familiar with the fact that data entry errors happen, and that if you look hard enough you will find a mistake in every app. Don't waste their time (or yours) updating over something so utterly inconsequential.
Thank you for the advice. I’m planning to leave it alone unless a school asks about it. My only lingering concern is whether this could become an issue later if I’m accepted somewhere and the school verifies my activities and discovers the date discrepancy. Could it affect my admission if the discrepancy were perceived as dishonesty, as we did have to attest that all information we submitted is correct?

Some schools also ask applicants to submit a CV. In those cases, should I list the correct start date on my CV, even if it differs from the date on my AMCAS application?
 
Thank you for the advice. I’m planning to leave it alone unless a school asks about it. My only lingering concern is whether this could become an issue later if I’m accepted somewhere and the school verifies my activities and discovers the date discrepancy. Could it affect my admission if the discrepancy were perceived as dishonesty, as we did have to attest that all information we submitted is correct?

Some schools also ask applicants to submit a CV. In those cases, should I list the correct start date on my CV, even if it differs from the date on my AMCAS application?
Because all schools don't ask for the same items, I'd make the correction to your CV. If a school notices and wants clarification, they'll ask. Unless you are intentionally deceiving others about the start date, this mistake will be inconsequential.

The more you pick at your wounds, the more it gets noticed by others. Let it go. Admissions committees are seeking applicants with integrity, not with factually perfect applications.
 
Thank you for the advice. I’m planning to leave it alone unless a school asks about it. My only lingering concern is whether this could become an issue later if I’m accepted somewhere and the school verifies my activities and discovers the date discrepancy. Could it affect my admission if the discrepancy were perceived as dishonesty, as we did have to attest that all information we submitted is correct?

Some schools also ask applicants to submit a CV. In those cases, should I list the correct start date on my CV, even if it differs from the date on my AMCAS application?
Submit the CV with the correct date.

If the error is somehow discovered it will be assumed to be just that, an error. If asked about it just affirm the correct date.

Since you aren’t forging diplomas or conjuring experiences and awards out of thin air, no one is going to care.
 
Because all schools don't ask for the same items, I'd make the correction to your CV. If a school notices and wants clarification, they'll ask. Unless you are intentionally deceiving others about the start date, this mistake will be inconsequential.

The more you pick at your wounds, the more it gets noticed by others. Let it go. Admissions committees are seeking applicants with integrity, not with factually perfect applications.
Thank you so much!
 
Submit the CV with the correct date.

If the error is somehow discovered it will be assumed to be just that, an error. If asked about it just affirm the correct date.

Since you aren’t forging diplomas or conjuring experiences and awards out of thin air, no one is going to care.
Thank you so much!