Accidently lied in my application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpideyMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So let me explain, and I need some advice on what to do.

I do not keep close touch with my mom. She has been moving to all parts of the country with her new boyfriend, and we don't really get to touch up on personal matters when we talk. So I learned from her this past week that she just graduated college in 2020 with her bachelor's degree. She then did an accelerated MPH program and got her MPH in 2021. I did not know any of this. On my medical school application, I selected that her education was"high school or equivalent," thus meaning I was a first-generational student. However, this is technically a lie because she got her bachelors in 2020 and MPH in 2021.

I still think I should be considered a first-gen, but it does not matter what I think. If I knew this information in may, I would have checked that my mom had gotten her degree and thus would be considered not first-gen anymore. Being first-gen has been huge for me in this process and learning about how to apply to college and all that. I want to assist first-gen students during and after med school.

I have been accepted into many programs with this information on my application, still going on more interviews, and ultimately matriculating next year, and I guess I am wondering if I should contact my programs about this, and if so, how? I do not want them to think I am lying and it was purely an accident as I have not been keeping close with my mother.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't bother. I totally understand the concern you have since this whole process is so stressful. That being said, this is quite inconsequential. You didn't lie, since you answered the question to the best of your knowledge. If it comes up at interviews, you can mention at that point that you just found out about your mom's education. Like you said, you still had to navigate higher education on your own without the aid of your parents' experience. That hasn't changed, and I'm pretty sure most adcoms would understand that.

Reactions: 3 users
Don't bother. I totally understand the concern you have since this whole process is so stressful. That being said, this is quite inconsequential. You didn't lie, since you answered the question to the best of your knowledge. If it comes up at interviews, you can mention at that point that you just found out about your mom's education. Like you said, you still had to navigate higher education on your own without the aid of your parents' experience. That hasn't changed, and I'm pretty sure most adcoms would understand that.
Yes, I think the way they frame this question isn't the best. So I actually graduated in 2020 with my bachelor's degree, and I guess my mom must have graduated around the same time. Depending on who you ask this may or may not make me considered first-gen, but I think a lot of people would consider me first-gen. However, AMCAS only asks what your parent's highest level of education is to determine the status.

Thank you for your comment. I suppose I will leave this alone for now.

Hello,

So let me explain, and I need some advice on what to do.

I do not keep close touch with my mom. She has been moving to all parts of the country with her new boyfriend, and we don't really get to touch up on personal matters when we talk. So I learned from her this past week that she just graduated college in 2020 with her bachelor's degree. She then did an accelerated MPH program and got her MPH in 2021. I did not know any of this. On my medical school application, I selected that her education was"high school or equivalent," thus meaning I was a first-generational student. However, this is technically a lie because she got her bachelors in 2020 and MPH in 2021.

I still think I should be considered a first-gen, but it does not matter what I think. If I knew this information in may, I would have checked that my mom had gotten her degree and thus would be considered not first-gen anymore. Being first-gen has been huge for me in this process and learning about how to apply to college and all that. I want to assist first-gen students during and after med school.

I have been accepted into many programs with this information on my application, still going on more interviews, and ultimately matriculating next year, and I guess I am wondering if I should contact my programs about this, and if so, how? I do not want them to think I am lying and it was purely an accident as I have not been keeping close with my mother.

Thank you
It's not a lie when you don't have that info.

The info about your parents is for demographic purposes only.

Reactions: 4 users
It's not a lie when you don't have that info.

The info about your parents is for demographic purposes only.
so what do i do? And I thought it extended beyond purely demographic purposes. Wouldnt a first-gen student be given preference in admissions? This is what I am concerned of as I don't want them to think I was lying to get an advantage in anyway.

What if they ask me on the parental information section of FAFSA during medical school? Then I guess I would say they attended college, but will they line this up with my med school application? Could I get in trouble this way? Thanks

What if they ask me on the parental information section of FAFSA during medical school? Then I guess I would say they attended college, but will they line this up with my med school application? Could I get in trouble this way? Thanks
Assuming you received financial aid in the past, what did you say previously? You can definitely say that you didn't know and made a mistake. They won't take you away in handcuffs.

Reactions: 2 users
I think bottom line you do nothing right now. You were honest when you submitted your application. If you are asked now, again be honest given the information you now have.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree that in the spirit of the question, you were first gen in that you did not have the benefit of a parent who had experience navigating the college application and attendance process when you were going through that.

You answered truthfully based on what you knew when you completed the application. If you are asked later, answer truthfully based on what you know now. It is highly unlikely that any school would compare FAFSA and AMCAS.... these things tend to be compartmentalized.

Reactions: 4 users
Assuming you received financial aid in the past, what did you say previously? You can definitely say that you didn't know and made a mistake. They won't take you away in handcuffs.
I said high school or equivalent because my mom graduated college the same year I did from what I have just learned

Reactions: 1 user
"It's not a lie... if you believe it." - George Costanza

And in this case, it's just not a lie. Don't sweat it.

Reactions: 1 users