Accounting for What I've Been Doing the Last 9 Years, When Answer is "Iffy"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As a person with friends who are self proclaimed "professional poker players" as well as having a plethora of friends who are "gambling addicts" I can honestly say the line of distinction between the two is very very fine.

Online poker with real money is illegal in the United States. That is why Pokerstars is located on the Island of Man and so many sites are not allowing US players. Many bank accounts are refusing direct deposits using your Mastercard or Visa card as well making funding of your poker account only viable through third party accounts such as ewallet and e-checks etc.

I agree with the above post to a certain extent. "Successful" online poker players are disciplined and do not allow past hands to dictate how they play the next. The vast majority play multiple tables at once and grind and imho, they do not actually really play poker but use a methodical system in how they approach each poker session to maximize their probability for success as opposed to failure. They do not have the time to analyze each hand nor see how each person plays/read them at the table as they are multi tasking 6-8+ tables at once and bet according to their cards and what is on the table and their stack size accordingly. It is a system that is always retooled and improved to prevent "leaks" and to maximize the amount of money recieved and folding a vast majority of your cards and only playing premium ones.

That said, I saw a finance article that made a claim of how poker players have a tendency to be better investors in stock. I make this reference to show how being "good" or "successful" in poker may translate one's proficiency into other things by demonstrating the discipline, ability to multitask, patience and ability to recognize certain scenarios and to maintain composure under duress. Playing poker is a legitamite hobby in my eyes but it may not be so for everyone and just be very careful and aware of both advantages and disadvantages when bringing this topic up.

Waterbird I believe has the right idea in trying to draft several PS with and without poker references and be very liberal in allowing others to critique them. Be receptive and open to their opinions.

Members don't see this ad.