Accutane vs. smooth beam laser tx

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pre-opt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am actually a pre-optometry student, but I have a question for you all. My question is regarding Accutane and smooth beam. I go to a great dermatologist, and he recommended accutane or smooth beam. I'm really not sure which one would be better for me. He said he was leaning more towards Accutane, but the possible side effects scare me. I don't want to have liver or other problems for the rest of my life, but then again, I'm not sure if I want to spend a ton on laser tx either because I am just a student who doesn't want to accumulate any more debt than possible. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I met a patient on accutane once. she complained of constant, excessively dry skin - everywhere. sounds pretty damn awful.

doc05 said:
I met a patient on accutane once. she complained of constant, excessively dry skin - everywhere. sounds pretty damn awful.

I took accutane my sophmore year of highschool. The side effects were pretty annoying: dry eyes, face, lips, my skin became more sensitive to sun (I ran cross country at the time, came back with a sunburn after a 30 minute run), had a nose bleed once...*but* it worked so well that I believe that it was worth it. If I had to take it again, I would. Another thing to remember is that Accutane is also very expensive!

Members don't see this ad :)
pre-opt said:
Hi! I am actually a pre-optometry student, but I have a question for you all. My question is regarding Accutane and smooth beam. I go to a great dermatologist, and he recommended accutane or smooth beam. I'm really not sure which one would be better for me. He said he was leaning more towards Accutane, but the possible side effects scare me. I don't want to have liver or other problems for the rest of my life, but then again, I'm not sure if I want to spend a ton on laser tx either because I am just a student who doesn't want to accumulate any more debt than possible. Any suggestions?

I don't know anything about smooth beam, but my gf has now been on accutane for ~8 months. She has all the classic side effects- but the dry skin, dry eyes, and slight hair thinning are the worst for her. She still says it is worth it because it has helped a lot. Her triglycerides have been elevated, but her doc doesnt seem to be too worried. It is a personal decision that you will have to make for yourself. Good luck.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has responded with any advice or info. Anyone else have any suggestions?