TheOther

2+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
When is the best time to go? Is it worth it as a MS2? Or should I wait until 3rd/4th year? Thanks!

Edit: While I'm at it, is EMRA worth joining as a MS2?

Last edited:

shoal

Oinker!
10+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2005
Status
id wait for acep till residency but if u got the cash 3rd or 4th yr. emra is nice because of free emrap. not sure you will have time to listen to it while you are trying to ace your rotations.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

gro2001

SOCMOB
10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
the desert
Status
Attending Physician
If you have the time and money, there is no bad time to go. It can be pretty interesting for all levels. At the very least, join EMRA which comes with free EM:RAP. Go to the EMRA meetings. See if any of the students committees are interesting enough to get involved in. In 3rd and 4th year, not a bad idea to drop by the residency fair.

racerwad

7+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
When is the best time to go? Is it worth it as a MS2? Or should I wait until 3rd/4th year? Thanks!

Edit: While I'm at it, is EMRA worth joining as a MS2?
Are you asking about the formal Scientific Assembly or the residency fair? The SA would be neat, but the residency fair at ACEP (and saem) is high yield.

OP
TheOther

TheOther

2+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Are you asking about the formal Scientific Assembly or the residency fair? The SA would be neat, but the residency fair at ACEP (and saem) is high yield.
Looking at the website, it seems like the fair is immediately before the SA. Is it a separate event/admission? And is the residency fair beneficial even as a MS2?

And thanks everyone else for the input so far!

Dr.McNinja

Nobel War Prize Winner
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2006
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Looking at the website, it seems like the fair is immediately before the SA. Is it a separate event/admission? And is the residency fair beneficial even as a MS2?
So, yes and no.
Yes, from the standpoint of it will give you a better idea about programs you are considering or hadn't considered.
And no, from the standpoint of the programs don't care who comes by. Sure, they offer swag, and take down names, but if and when you become an academic attending, and you ask all of the other guys at the tables, they'll tell you it is essentially meaningless to them. They all do it because everyone else does it. Nobody ever talks about "that catch we got all because of the res fair!"

Hope I didn't burst every med student's bubble.

racerwad

7+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So, yes and no.
Yes, from the standpoint of it will give you a better idea about programs you are considering or hadn't considered.
And no, from the standpoint of the programs don't care who comes by. Sure, they offer swag, and take down names, but if and when you become an academic attending, and you ask all of the other guys at the tables, they'll tell you it is essentially meaningless to them. They all do it because everyone else does it. Nobody ever talks about "that catch we got all because of the res fair!"

Hope I didn't burst every med student's bubble.
Agreed. The fair is definitely for your knowledge and maybe making one or two connections out of the dozens of programs you'll meet. Even if names and info is exchanged, don't expect them to remember you or burn a lot of calories recruiting you. It is just to give you a chance to get to know them come application time. As a second yr, it is probably low yield.

The med student day is an entire separate, free event.

Reactions: TheOther

MSmentor018

Hooah!
10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2007
it's always hot!
Status
Attending Physician
just join emra and get the bennies from there. it's very low yield as a ms2. on the other hand if you have time off (who does in oct as a ms2??) and actually file deductions on your taxes, it's a write off. ie; a free vacation. better off keeping your nose in the books for now

Reactions: TheOther