ACEP Statement on Supreme Court Affirmative Action Ruling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Birdstrike

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Supreme Court ruled last month that Harvard's race-based admissions program discriminates against Asian American applicants and therefore violates the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment, thereby ruling it illegal (Oyez).

ACEP, ABEM, SAEM, AAEM, et al, then issued this statement:

"Joint Statement from Emergency Medicine Organizations on Efforts to Diversify Health Care Professionals in the United States

Following the recent U.S. Supreme Court decisions on the consideration of an applicant's racial or ethnic background in the higher education admissions process, our emergency medicine organizations stand together in our efforts to diversify health care professionals, including physicians, in the United States.

Additionally, we reaffirm our responsibility to addressing health care disparities and inequities as we deliver exceptional care to all patients who enter our emergency departments.

Evidence indicates race and ethnicity concordance are factors recognized by and important to patient outcomes and their access to quality health care. This is particularly important in emergency care, where patient-physician trust must be established quickly and a substantial portion of patients are from under- represented and marginalized racial/ethnic groups.

Further, diversity in the health professions also improves the educational experiences of students, resident physicians, the teaching experiences of faculty, and the overall health of our communities.

Our organizations are committed to strengthening the diversity of health professionals, including physicians, and promoting staffing of hospitals and their emergency departments with individuals of diverse race and ethnicity for the health and well-being of our patients.

If the court’s decisions in Students for Fair Admissions (SFFA) vs Harvard and SFFA vs the University of North Carolina requires changes to current law and practices, we stand ready to work together and with other stakeholders to foster a diverse health professions workforce.

American Academy of Emergency Medicine (AAEM) AAEM-Resident and Student Association (AAEM-RSA)
American Board of Emergency Medicine (ABEM)
American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP)
Association of Academic Chairs of Emergency Medicine (AACEM) Council of Residency Directors in Emergency Medicine (CORD) Emergency Medicine Residents’ Association (EMRA)
Society for Academic Emergency Medicine (SAEM) SAEM-Residents and Medical Students (SAEM-RAMS)" - Source

Members don't see this ad.

I trained at an inner city urban trauma center. The White and Asian demographic is less than 20% of the population. The residency often recruited several URM residents per year, but they couldn’t ever get one of them to stay in all the years I was there. They definitely tried hard to keep several over the years, or recruit from the outside. I am not sure what the reasons were but I found it pretty remarkable. The pay including benefits was as high or higher than all the surrounding EDs. All the higher ups in the Department are/were White or Asian fwiw. Checking their website now, among the 40ish faculty, around 3-4 are URM, 1 a new grad hire just recently.

Do other people experience this phenomenon at other sites? It seems like URM don’t want to work in the areas ABEM, ACEP, et al are telling them they should.

EM is an IMG specialty. Trust me, diversity isn't going to be an issue. These EM groups need to do their actual job and advocate for the specialty instead of wasting my membership fees on stupid unrelated issues like undergraduate diversity.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
EM is an IMG specialty. Trust me, diversity isn't going to be an issue. These EM groups need to do their actual job and advocate for the specialty instead of wasting my membership fees on stupid unrelated issues like undergraduate diversity.
Your first sentence is now my new go to statement. It hurts but it's so true.

Reactions: 1 users

Exactly

Our specialty is in crisis and ACEP ain’t doing SHET to help

Reactions: 1 user
The issue is you are giving them membership fees. Anyone who is still an ACEP member is complicit in the destruction of the specialty.

Reactions: 1 users
Just cancelled mine. I couldn't take it anymore.

Same

Joined AAEM, even though it’s only 1/3 membership size of ACEP, at least the leadership is actively trying to stop and expose the PE and CMG parasites

I googled it. They put "J" for justice in front of DEI and rearranged it.

How clever, AAEM. Now knock it off.

Reactions: 2 users
What is your definition of "woke"?

I see we're taking the secondary definition here.