acetylcholine question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TypeSH07

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this NT basically involved with everything?? Both autonomic and somatic?? Excitatory for everything besides the heart were it is parasympathetic? MCAT seems to like this particular NT.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, ACh is used in the autonomic as well as the somatic nervous system.

ACh is used in both the sympathetic and the parasympathetic nervous systems, but is the effector NT only in the parasympathetic. This specific topic seems to be very popular for exam questions.

Yes, ACh is used in the autonomic as well as the somatic nervous system.

ACh is used in both the sympathetic and the parasympathetic nervous systems, but is the effector NT only in the parasympathetic. This specific topic seems to be very popular for exam questions.

I think this is generally true, as far as I know. However, there is a notable exception to the rule you stated. The sympathetic post-ganglionic neurotransmitter for sweat glands, surprisingly, is ACh, not NE, as one would expect. That's what I remember anyway. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I think this is generally true, as far as I know. However, there is a notable exception to the rule you stated. The sympathetic post-ganglionic neurotransmitter for sweat glands, surprisingly, is ACh, not NE, as one would expect. That's what I remember anyway. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

thats also true for certain blood vessels...specifically in the brain. although for most blood vessels it is nitric oxide instead of AcH or NE