TypeSH07

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2004
Visit site
Status
Is this NT basically involved with everything?? Both autonomic and somatic?? Excitatory for everything besides the heart were it is parasympathetic? MCAT seems to like this particular NT.

rocuronium

10+ Year Member
May 11, 2008
Canada
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yes, ACh is used in the autonomic as well as the somatic nervous system.

ACh is used in both the sympathetic and the parasympathetic nervous systems, but is the effector NT only in the parasympathetic. This specific topic seems to be very popular for exam questions.

spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
Status
Attending Physician
Yes, ACh is used in the autonomic as well as the somatic nervous system.

ACh is used in both the sympathetic and the parasympathetic nervous systems, but is the effector NT only in the parasympathetic. This specific topic seems to be very popular for exam questions.
I think this is generally true, as far as I know. However, there is a notable exception to the rule you stated. The sympathetic post-ganglionic neurotransmitter for sweat glands, surprisingly, is ACh, not NE, as one would expect. That's what I remember anyway. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

rocuronium

10+ Year Member
May 11, 2008
Canada
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Wikipedia seems to agree with you! :D

That's interesting. Thanks for the info.

RySerr21

i aint kinda hot Im sauna
10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I think this is generally true, as far as I know. However, there is a notable exception to the rule you stated. The sympathetic post-ganglionic neurotransmitter for sweat glands, surprisingly, is ACh, not NE, as one would expect. That's what I remember anyway. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
thats also true for certain blood vessels...specifically in the brain. although for most blood vessels it is nitric oxide instead of AcH or NE