ACGME accreditation warning?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docdoc14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently received an invitation to interview at Methodist Hospital (Houston) for gen surg residency. Seemed like a decent program, but I recently found out that their current ACGME accreditation status is continued accreditation with warning effective as of April 05, 2018. Has anyone heard anything about what the warning was for? Or what exactly a "warning" entails?

I ask because I am currently debating between canceling this interview vs canceling an interview at Anne Arundel - a newer program, but one that shows potential with strong reviews and has no accreditation warnings.

TL;DR: which interview invite should I cancel? An established program (Methodist Hospital Houston) with accreditation status as "continued accreditation with warning" or a newer unestablished program (Anne Arundel) with strong reviews and no accreditation warnings?

Thank you all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I recently received an invitation to interview at Methodist Hospital (Houston) for gen surg residency. Seemed like a decent program, but I recently found out that their current ACGME accreditation status is continued accreditation with warning effective as of April 05, 2018. Has anyone heard anything about what the warning was for? Or what exactly a "warning" entails?

I ask because I am currently debating between canceling this interview vs canceling an interview at Anne Arundel - a newer program, but one that shows potential with strong reviews and has no accreditation warnings.

TL;DR: which interview invite should I cancel? An established program (Methodist Hospital Houston) with accreditation status as "continued accreditation with warning" or a newer unestablished program (Anne Arundel) with strong reviews and no accreditation warnings?

Thank you all in advance!

I would pick the established program unless being a frontier paving the way at the new program excites you. You can ask about the "warning" issue during interview and rank them lower if their response is not satisfactory. You can also try to reach out to the residents at Methodist now to gauge their feelings...before making your drop decision.

At the end of the day pick based on your preferred location and size of the program you want to be part of