ACGME approved PGY-1 year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

racystacey07

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had intended to complete an osteopathic internship for my PGY-1 year. (It's the path of least resistance. I want to increase my OMM skills, and I live in one of the five states that require it for licensing.) However, I am just discovering now that some programs only accept ACGME approved programs. Is this going to be a problem? I am going to email my programs, but I am worried about this. Anyone else have this experience? Thanks so much.
 
I had intended to complete an osteopathic internship for my PGY-1 year. (It's the path of least resistance. I want to increase my OMM skills, and I live in one of the five states that require it for licensing.) However, I am just discovering now that some programs only accept ACGME approved programs. Is this going to be a problem? I am going to email my programs, but I am worried about this. Anyone else have this experience? Thanks so much.

Unless you are applying to PM&R programs that start at the PGY1 level, you should have no problem with any rehab program if you do an osteopathic internship. The vast majority of DOs do an osteopathic internship prior to PM&R.
 
I had intended to complete an osteopathic internship for my PGY-1 year. (It's the path of least resistance. I want to increase my OMM skills, and I live in one of the five states that require it for licensing.) However, I am just discovering now that some programs only accept ACGME approved programs. Is this going to be a problem? I am going to email my programs, but I am worried about this. Anyone else have this experience? Thanks so much.

Out of curiousity, which programs have told you that they are only accepting ACGME-approved internships?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Out of curiousity, which programs have told you that they are only accepting ACGME-approved internships?


OSU told me that I had to do an ACGME approved internship. However, one of their PGY2's did an osteopathic internship, so I find this confusing. Can you get AOA internships ACGME approved??
 
OSU told me that I had to do an ACGME approved internship. However, one of their PGY2's did an osteopathic internship, so I find this confusing. Can you get AOA internships ACGME approved??

That's confusing to me too. I know the opposite is true- you can get ACGME internships approved by the AOA.

I wonder if they have specific guidelines as to what rotations they need from their required ACGME internship.

At any rate, hopefully we can get some extra input on this.