Achievements vs Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adrian710

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may seem like a dumb question but I'm looking for more specific examples of what to do put in AACOMAS "achievements" vs "experiences" sections. For example would being on Dean's list X semester be an achievement and shadowing, leadership roles, etc. be under experiments?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What else would work for Achievements? My experiments I have plenty of but for some reason all I can muster up for achievements is my Dean's list semesters... damn haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
What else would work for Achievements?

Something you got elected for (team captain, president, etc), academic award (honors, cum laude), research award (travel funding, editors choice, best poster, grant), athletic (division academic team, league champion, etc).

I'm sure you can see how's things can crossover. For example, under experience you'd describe your research and in achievements highlight a conference best poster award.

It's okay if you don't have a laundry list.

Something you got elected for (team captain, president, etc), academic award (honors, cum laude), research award (travel funding, editors choice, best poster, grant), athletic (division academic team, league champion, etc).

I'm sure you can see how's things can crossover. For example, under experience you'd describe your research and in achievements highlight a conference best poster award.

What do you mean, "cum laude" ? If on my diploma it says Magna Cum Laude, etc. does that count as an achievement? If so, how do I word that?

I'm concerned as well. As of right now my only achievements are in my Dean's list... which I'm assuming most people with a competitive or average gpa have.

What do you mean, "cum laude" ? If on my diploma it says Magna Cum Laude, etc. does that count as an achievement? If so, how do I word that?

Congrats on the nice GPA haha. Yes, those are Latin honors some schools use to tier students. For example, at my school is was something like >3.6 = cum laude, >3.75 = magna cum laude, >3.9 = summa cum laude. It's a academic distinction that comes with your degree.

Just make a statement explaining you received a degree distinction for outstanding academic effort and were awarded magna cum laude.

Congrats on the nice GPA haha. Yes, those are Latin honors some schools use to tier students. For example, at my school is was something like >3.6 = cum laude, >3.75 = magna cum laude, >3.9 = summa cum laude. It's a academic distinction that comes with your degree.

Just make a statement explaining you received a degree distinction for outstanding academic effort and were awarded magna cum laude.
Awesome man! Thanks for making me aware of the fact that I could use the distinctions on my diploma as an achievement. Seems obvious...NOT TO ME!

One of my experiances is folk dancing, would winning gold medals at festivals account for an achievement? Thanks!

To add: When adding a Magna Cum Laude type of achievement, all I'm "describing" is how I went about earning it. Moreover, I more or less explained what the qualifications are for earning such an award. I really didn't know what else to say. I'm not really talking about motivating factors here, right...?

Holy crap. The instructions say they want achievements in chronological order. What to do if you later remember you forgot to enter something and it is most recent and you have a list of 10 things!?!?!

Last edited:
One of my experiances is folk dancing, would winning gold medals at festivals account for an achievement? Thanks!
and yes, of course! Look at the instructions on the application: They mention sports awards and such; folk dancing is no different!

Reactions: 1 user

Thank you so much! Very helpful!

One more thing, so I could put each semester I was Dean's list as an award, being captain of my varsity high school soccer team for 3 years, rookie of the year of award for my HS soccer team as a freshman, MVP of my HS soccer team as a senior...? Is this too much "soccer" too far long ago?

One more thing, so I could put each semester I was Dean's list as an award, being captain of my varsity high school soccer team for 3 years, rookie of the year of award for my HS soccer team as a freshman, MVP of my HS soccer team as a senior...? Is this too much "soccer" too far long ago?

It is too long ago. DO NOT include anything pre-college, i.e. high school. I'm pretty sure the AACOMAS instructions are explicit on that (make sure to read the FAQs at the bottom of each AACOMAS instruction page).

For multiple instances of the same experience/reward (Dean's list), I believe they have no real preference on individual entries, or one entry where you you list a range of dates. For my conference presentations that were multiple year, I just listed the range, e.g. 2002-2005, and then in the description just explained that it was a yearly conference.

Also, DO check out the help pages associated with the sections you are working on. They are actually pretty thorough (again, remember to check the FAQs as well).

Members don't see this ad :)
I really didn't know what else to say. I'm not really talking about motivating factors here
5n.jpg

Errr, what's your questions?

No - I would do an entry for either Dean's list or academic awards and include the multiple occasions there.

Definitely do NOT say anything about high school. Those achievements are not even remotely impressive to anyone and it looks very immature. The exception would be if it was something truly outstanding like Olympics, Intel scholar, research publication, etc. Even those could be included as a line with something else. For 99.9% of people, leave HS out of it.

Do you think publications would be counted as achievements?

Do you think publications would be counted as achievements?

I wouldn't include it there but I could see how you could go either way. An award for a publication could be "Editor's Choice" for that issue or something like that. I'd probably find a better place to list pubs but do what you think is best!

and yes, of course! Look at the instructions on the application: They mention sports awards and such; folk dancing is no different!
Winning State cup for my soccer team and awards I got like MVP seem like they would be achievments - however this all happened in High School. Still fine?

Winning State cup for my soccer team and awards I got like MVP seem like they would be achievments - however this all happened in High School. Still fine?

My thoughts would be, "Only if they are still relevant to your life."

If you've been playing soccer since you were 5 and won these awards AND continued playing in college; then yeah, I think you can list it because it's flavor-text that shows a longterm commitment. But even then, I think it lives better under some other heading (hobbies-centric) than achievements.

If you haven't committed significant time to soccer since high school, then you haven't. Unfortunately, hobbies from four years ago aren't really that interesting, so it should stay away from your application.

My thoughts would be, "Only if they are still relevant to your life."

If you've been playing soccer since you were 5 and won these awards AND continued playing in college; then yeah, I think you can list it because it's flavor-text that shows a longterm commitment. But even then, I think it lives better under some other heading (hobbies-centric) than achievements.

If you haven't committed significant time to soccer since high school, then you haven't. Unfortunately, hobbies from four years ago aren't really that interesting, so it should stay away from your application.
I have continued to play soccer on two teams each year in college (one for my fraternity and one for regular men's league). I have been the captain all four years for my fraternity soccer team.

I have continued to play soccer on two teams each year in college (one for my fraternity and one for regular men's league). I have been the captain all four years for my fraternity soccer team.

This is a better activity than your high school ones-- unfortunately, anything before college really doesn't matter for your application. However, if those experiences helped you develop leadership/teamwork/dedication/persistence/etc, you could work it into your personal statement somehow.

Again, pre-college doesn't really count for jack. That's just the name of the game. In your PS you posted, you didn't make any mention of playing soccer in college. Honestly I think that's something you should include in your PS (shows your commitment, determination, leadership, etc) and then make sure you include your college soccer career in your primary application. BOOM, you've now included your HS experiences into your application in an appropriate way.

So what about scholarships earned in high school? For example, I graduated from high school with my associates degree and received an award and scholarship for doing so. I am definitely not including other things from high school but would this be relevant enough to include in the achievements section?

I wouldn't include it there but I could see how you could go either way. An award for a publication could be "Editor's Choice" for that issue or something like that. I'd probably find a better place to list pubs but do what you think is best!

isn't publications an option in the drop down menu for achievement type? I assume publications should be listed in achievements.

how important is it that achievements are listed in chronological order?? thanks!

what fraternity?

isn't publications an option in the drop down menu for achievement type? I assume publications should be listed in achievements.

how important is it that achievements are listed in chronological order?? thanks!

Not sure, I haven't used it in like 3 years. It could be different now.

Mine were not in chronological order so I don't think that matters. I believe I did order of importance but I'm not sure how the document appears to adcom members.