Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Acid/ Base Titrations?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by mackert5, Apr 30, 2007.

1. mackert5

Pre-Dental
    Does anyone know if there are acid/ base titration problems on the DAT. The ADA site says there aren't but I would really like to know just in case.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mutual

mutual Membership Revoked
    Removed

They will easily be there, which may probably be classified as calculations under Acids and Bases per ADA's test specifications.

4. lor

lor
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    this is all you need to know
    NaVa=NbVb
    look at the stem of problem, look for volume given and asked. look for normality meaning that you need to look for concentration of things and number of H's and OH's
    watch for H2SO4 for example, you have 2 H's so you need to mutiply that with the concentration of H2SO4 to find normality
    common student mistake: students tend to confuse titration and neutralization with dilution so watch out for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    best of luck to you!

5. poc91nc

poc91nc Membership Revoked
    Removed 7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Knowing N1V1 = N2V2 is fine....but what about for redox titrations...not so easy there. Just to be well rounded...I think practicing a few redox titrations is good...also knowing the literal definition of normality.

6. poc91nc

poc91nc Membership Revoked
    Removed 7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Most people have probably encountered a redox titration as a stoichiometry problem, and the solution will solve the question stoichiometrically instead of using the normality equation. If you aren't comfortable using the normality method...it probably isn't a good idea and will take longer and give a higher chance of making a mistake.

Nonetheless, I found once I got comfortable using the normality method...it was a lot faster. I revisited a few stoichiometry problems and noticed they were redox titrations and the way the problem was set up...N1V1 = N2V2 worked as a perfect shortcut.

3000 solved problems in chemistry has some really good quantitative problems if anyone is interested.

7. lor

lor
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    know the concept. you'll be surprised when you see howfar knowing the basic GCHEM will take you on your actual DAT test:D
    good luck