helloboys

5+ Year Member
May 18, 2016
I thought when creating a buffer, you need a weak acid with its conj base and vise versa. So how is this a BC question, "When titrating the monoprotic acid HCl with NaOH of a known concentration, which of the following must be equal at the equivalence point?"

I thought you can't do a strong acid and a strong base?!

Pearl E. White

D2 at LECOM
7+ Year Member
May 20, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I thought when creating a buffer, you need a weak acid with its conj base and vise versa. So how is this a BC question, "When titrating the monoprotic acid HCl with NaOH of a known concentration, which of the following must be equal at the equivalence point?"

I thought you can't do a strong acid and a strong base?!
A titration is very different from a buffer. In a titration, you are usually trying to determine the equivalence point. The point of buffers is to buffer against acid or base addition. So, to answer the BC question, at the equivalence point the moles of acid = the moles of base. Let me know if you have more questions. I love this stuff! :)

Reactions: 1 user

Pearl E. White

D2 at LECOM
7+ Year Member
May 20, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Also, you are correct. You wouldn't be able to make a buffer with a strong acid and strong base mixture. However, you can have a buffer of say a weak acid and a strong base. You would just need 2 parts of the weak acid to 1 part strong base.

Reactions: 1 user
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.