Quantcast

Acidity Ranking Question

DATBooster | The Ultimate DAT Resource
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quinque

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
upload_2016-11-9_18-34-39.png

Can someone please explain to me why compound B is more acidic than compound D?

I know that both substituents on compound B and D are electron donating, which would stabilize the negative charge on the conjugate base. I also know that compound D has a stronger donator.

BUT, I also know that B's substituent can create another very very minor resonance structure if I de-prononate the hydroxyl H (2 neg charges on two carbons and a positive charge on oxygen). Is this why even though compound D is a stronger donator, compound B is more acidic? Thank you.

Bersabeh

Dat
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
View attachment 210674

I know that both substituents on compound B and D are electron donating, which would stabilize the negative charge on the conjugate base. I also know that compound D has a stronger donator.

BUT, I also know that B's substituent can create another very very minor resonance structure if I de-prononate the hydroxyl H (2 neg charges on two carbons and a positive charge on oxygen). Is this why even though compound D is a stronger donator, compound B is more acidic? Thank you.
yes they both donators, but here its mostly due to stereochemistry, causing steric hindrance, causing it to be more acidic or ready to leave.

orgoman22

DAT DESTROYER
Lifetime Donor
Sponsor
Vendor
15+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    View attachment 210674

This is not so easy ! Yes , B would be more acidic than D. Why ? We must consider the anion. The anion in B is better stabilized. If you removed the H from the OH group in each, and examined the RESONANCE forms in the anion......you would note that there is a bit of DESTABILIZATION in D because a positive charge would reside on this resonance hybrid. We get a positive charge on the nitrogen atom. This is not seen in B, where we have a methoxy group. Thus, B is better stabilized. An anion that has greater stabilization translates into a more acidic compound, hence a lower pKa. Literature values for 3-methoxyphenol and 4-aminophenol are 9.65 and 10.30 respectively. Resonance theory works nicely here . I hope this helps on a difficult, but delightful question.

Dr. Romano