Ackerman Academy of Dermatopathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lemuel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How competitive is to match at a dermpath fellowship at ackermans? Why does this fellowship does not appear in FREIDA or acgme? Is it accredited? Thank you...

Members don't see this ad.

It's definitely accredited. As for competitive, well, is there such a thing as an UN-competitive dermpath fellowship? I met the current fellows there and they are all excellent. It's a different program than many academic centers, truly set up more like an "academy" for learning dermpath than a traditional fellowship. Much less scut, much more educational time, no requirements to do posters or projects. Just different. Whether that's better or worse for you might depend on what you're looking for in a fellowship. But the going wisdom is just to get a spot anywhere. Sure a big name ivy-league institution might look good on the CV, but it won't make a huge difference in your future.

How competitive is to match at a dermpath fellowship at ackermans? Why does this fellowship does not appear in FREIDA or acgme? Is it accredited? Thank you...

the question is how do you get aspot..thru the routine matching or..do you pay for it...some of the fellows pay money for the opportunity..and support themselves...still as the other poster said..it is a fellowship...and is accreditted and you can take the ABP or ABD or AOBP.AOBP DP exams after completion of program

Members don't see this ad :)
The Ackerman Academy fellowship, as other posters have said is an ACGME accredited fellowship. It may be "easier" to get a spot than other fellowships, just because there are more positions at that program than others. It is also a fellowship that may give you an opportunity to stay on as part of Dermpath Dx. I've heard rumors about some fellows paying for their spot..but I think these are foreign visiting fellows not under ACGME.
You apply to the fellowship as any other dermpath fellowship (not a match process). Just FYI, the program at Einstein and Path Associates (Port Chester) is also under the realm of Dermpath Dx.
http://www.dermpathdiagnostics.com/display.asp?catid=25&pageid=53

Regardless, a dermpath fellowship is a dermpath fellowship. Getting a spot and being board certified is what private groups are looking for first and foremost.

Last edited:
The Ackerman Academy fellowship, as other posters have said is an ACGME accredited fellowship. It may be "easier" to get a spot than other fellowships, just because there are more positions at that program than others. It is also a fellowship that may give you an opportunity to stay on as part of Dermpath Dx. I've heard rumors about some fellows paying for their spot..but I think these are foreign visiting fellows not under ACGME.
You apply to the fellowship as any other dermpath fellowship (not a match process). Just FYI, the program at Einstein and Path Associates (Port Chester) is also under the realm of Dermpath Dx.
http://www.dermpathdiagnostics.com/display.asp?catid=25&pageid=53

Regardless, a dermpath fellowship is a dermpath fellowship. Getting a spot and being board certified is what private groups are looking for first and foremost.

DermpathDx is a branch of Ameripath which is owned by Quest diagnostics.

I've heard rumors about some fellows paying for their spot..but I think these are foreign visiting fellows not under ACGME.

I think those are usually not true "fellows" but are often foreign pathologists doing some time there to increase their dermpath exposure and credentials, when ACGME accreditation doesn't matter. I highly doubt that an ACGME accredited spot would be allowed to be awarded based on the applicant paying for it.

Having interviewed there, that is exactly the case. The only true "fellows" there are chosen by the director, Geoff Gottlieb, and are in ACGME accredited positions. Then each day/week/month there may be multiple other people at the scope, many of them foreign pathologists who are looking to gain more dermpath knowledge or acumen, not actual "fellows". And from what I've heard there are only 4 spots available for this application cycle and two may be already spoken for.