ACLS re-certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H12345

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The ERAS application asks applicants whether we are ACLS certified. My certification expired a few months ago (graduating in December) Should I get re certified? I heard that since most residencies pay for the certification, and not having this certification does not affect the number of interviews I will get. I have BLS recertification. Should I get ACLS as well, or should I wait until residency start?

Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

The ERAS application asks applicants whether we are ACLS certified. My certification expired a few months ago (graduating in December) Should I get re certified? I heard that since most residencies pay for the certification, and not having this certification does not affect the number of interviews I will get. I have BLS recertification. Should I get ACLS as well, or should I wait until residency start?

Thanks a lot
Mine expires in May of 2021.... and I’m not planning on renewing until our residency programs make us do it again! I think you are golden. Your program is most likely going to make you do it again

Reactions: 1 user
I’m surprised your school didn’t time if so you’re good through graduation.

I’d imagine most residencies will have you certify during orientation, and pay for it. If somehow they don’t, you’ll find that out when you match and you can cross that bridge then.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m surprised your school didn’t time if so you’re good through graduation.

I’d imagine most residencies will have you certify during orientation, and pay for it. If somehow they don’t, you’ll find that out when you match and you can cross that bridge then.
My school didnt even certify us in ACLS lol

You wont need to do both. My co-intern did ACLS with their school before residency but had to redo it because our hospital uses a different curriculum than what they used previously. (Which is really stupid, but it happened)

I got my certification in ACLS, too. Have you looked into savealife.com? They offer certification and recertification courses in ACLS all online, which made it easy to do on my own schedule. Just a thought...

Hospitals that you match to normally give the courses for new interns for free, BLS, ACLS, PALS, whatever courses you need for free during orientations or first month of residency. It may cost hundred of dollars if you do it your own, I’d rather wait