ACLS training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocGul

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a PGY-1 pathology resident, How many of you took this training? just curious.:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't take ACLS or BLS. I'm not even CPR certified:eek:!

I did the ACLS training in my program. It was really a joke. I wonder if it is like that everywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on your institution - try the search, there have been lots of threads on this. Some places require you to have it if you have any patient contact (apheresis, cytopath FNAs, bone marrows).

People generally take BLS or ACLS as their residency program (or sometimes, medical school graduation) requires, and then after that, keeping certification current is up to the individual.

yaah, I like your new avatar...gotta love the '87 Topps...and Mike Greenwell.

Our school made us take BLS and ACLS our 1st and 2nd year of school, with recert during 4th year before graduation.

kind of a waste, considering we're never the ones pushing drugs, but good to know for rotations i guess.

thanks everyone. I had both BLS and ACLS, quite useful I think, but again, how much I can remember even if I come across actual code.

One more week to relax!

thanks everyone. I had both BLS and ACLS, quite useful I think, but again, how much I can remember even if I come across actual code.

One more week to relax!

Seriously, a pathologist is the LAST person I'd want working a code...:laugh:

And no, I don't have to do ACLS.:D

yaah, I like your new avatar...gotta love the '87 Topps...and Mike Greenwell.

I've got complete sets of Topps '84-'90 and Donruss '87-90. '87 Topps with the woodgrain border was probably my fave although I was a big fan of the 89 Donruss. I remember when the BoSox had Ellis Burks.

ACLS was "strongly recommended" by my program, which means that smart people spent an extra day on the couch, and fools like me wasted a bunch of money to spend a day hanging out with mannequins. I suppose the only plus is that on the off chance someone codes in front of me in the hospital hallway, I won't have to pretend I'm not a doctor. Doing chest compressions is kinda fun.

I've got complete sets of Topps '84-'90 and Donruss '87-90. '87 Topps with the woodgrain border was probably my fave although I was a big fan of the 89 Donruss. I remember when the BoSox had Ellis Burks.
Back when baseball cards were fun to collect...ahh, the good 'ol days.