Microbiology Training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A.T. Phil

Reaction score
I'm applying for a path residency and am interested in doing a micro fellowship later on. I have a few questions on microbiology training:

- Is it better to train at a location that has a microbiology fellowship or not, or is it neutral either way?
- Do you know of some good places that teach micro well to residents?

Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Most micro fellowships are at big academic centers. I’d recommend you go to a place with a micro fellowship and you can always stay or go to another place if you think they have a better micro fellowship.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm applying for a path residency and am interested in doing a micro fellowship later on. I have a few questions on microbiology training:

- Is it better to train at a location that has a microbiology fellowship or not, or is it neutral either way?

Thanks for any input!
I am doing a fellowship in medical microbiology next year at my residency program. if you have a strong desire to do a medical microbiology fellowship I would recommend going to a residency with one. At least then you will know what the fellowship will be like and what an academic microbiology director does. I’ve meet a few people who told me they were interested in medical microbiology but they didn’t really understand what it entails as there training in that area was lacking. Also make sure to consider the strength of CP training at each program prior to ranking.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for any input!

Don't limit yourself that early. Go to a program with excellent overall AP/CP training. Microbiology fellowships are not in high demand and are easy to get regardless. If you are truly set on microbiology fellowship, consider going through IM residency route as well.

Amazon product

Any reviews or recommendations on this book for microbiology coverage? I am taking Clinical Path certifying exam soon. Thank you

Don't limit yourself that early. Go to a program with excellent overall AP/CP training. Microbiology fellowships are not in high demand and are easy to get regardless. If you are truly set on microbiology fellowship, consider going through IM residency route as well.

Places with microbiology fellowships tend to be at pretty well regarded academic programs (Hopkins, Yale, Stanford, BWH, etc) with great AP/CP training. Going to a program with a microbiology fellowship would set you up better for fellowship in my opinion, It would also allow you to start research projects that carry over to fellowship.

Internal medicine to infectious diseases (5 years) is an option if you still want to see patients, though longer than AP/CP (4 years) or CP only (3 years).

You also don't need to complete a ACGME medical microbiology fellowship to run a smaller microbiology lab, you can sit for the D (ABMM) exam after a couple of years, however the exam is very challenging.

Just some things to consider.

you must AT LEAST go to a place with a medical microbiology fellowship AND one or more
MD PATHOLOGIST medical micro person. a
As an aside, if you get any type of rep in the field, it is small enough and easy to get on the CME/ board prep type lecture circuit and get some great int’l travel free and some pocket money.