ACOM vs KYCOM vs BCOM vs WCUCOM vs VCOM-Louisiana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brockhamptonfanacct

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
BCOM wants a deposit somewhat early, and I wanted to get the ball rolling on deciding between my current acceptances both to avoid paying unnecessary deposits and make sure that other deserving applicants get to interview too.

ACOM pros:

-Established school with good rotations
-The school radiates friendliness and professionalism. My interview day here was seamless, the staff and faculty seem genuinely engaged, the diversity mixer the day before was great, and I feel like I could fit into the culture here well
-Decent matches
-On-campus housing
-City of Dothan is big enough for general needs
-Honestly have never heard anyone say a bad thing about the school, which is surprising given the amount of research I’ve done
-COMLEX pass rates are good now

ACOM cons

-Slightly more expensive than other schools on this list (55k)
-60% mandatory attendance policy as of right now I believe
-Letter grades
-As a WOC, am slightly hesitant about Alabama, but this criticism could be applied to every school on this list

KYCOM pros:

-Mission-driven, focused on primary care which is good for me
-Seems they are trying to bolster diversity efforts quite intentionally
-Relatively cheap (50k, with iPad, OPP table, and other items provided)
-Have made some connections with people in the program already, so I would have people to turn to for support/questions

KYCOM cons:

-A town of 7k is a bit small, same concern about area as ACOM
-Not sure how diverse the patient population I would see would be, given that all rotations are in very similar areas
-COMLEX pass rates are not great
-Not pass/fail as far as I’m aware

BCOM pros:

-Very committed to their mission of specifically serving diverse populations, which I would enjoy
-Collaboration with NMSU allows us to use their facilities
-Would fit in well with the students here
-Their inaugural class seemed to have some very strong matches, not sure if that was a product of something special about the school or the willpower/work of those students themselves
-Systems-based curriculum

BCOM cons:

-Wants the deposit pretty soon, hence this post
-General concerns about the unsavory nature of for-profit schools, heard concerns about ICOM which is owned by the same person who launched BCOM
-I believe the attrition rate is quite high
-Pricier than I’d prefer (58k)

WCUCOM pros:

-No longer on @Goro 's bad boy list
-Tuition is impressive at 44k
-Hattiesburg and surrounding area is larger than other cities mentioned in this post

WCUCOM cons:

-Letter grades
-Unsure of the quality of rotation sites
-Not sure if I would gel with students here; didn’t have an opportunity through the interview to meet any

VCOM-Louisiana pros:

-Tuition is decent (48k)
-VCOM itself is reputable, though I’m unsure if this applies to a new school
-Loved my interview day and the school, such friendly and enthusiastic people
-I enjoy their collaboration with ULM’s campus, on-campus housing opportunities, etc.

VCOM-Louisiana cons:

-New school, has not graduated a class yet
-No clue how rotations will be given the newness of the school

Upcoming DO interviews: AZCOM, ARCOM, DMU. Have yet to hear back from LECOM-Bradenton and some other schools.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on such fantastic results future doctor!

Maybe I will see you at one of these programs / interview trail :)

• Care
Reactions: 1 user