ACOM vs PNWU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docuni

Reaction score
First time posting, and I would love to hear advices on which school to choose!
I loved both schools during my interview and my time there. Tuition + cost of living seems to be comparable (2-3k difference/yr).
I don't reside close to AL nor WA, but I wish to eventually settle down in PNW or CA post medical training. I am not sure if attending school outside of west coast will lessen my chance of getting residency/job in those areas. Also, I plan on getting into IM or EM, and I think both schools will adequately prepare me for those specialties. Having that said,

ACOM
Pros: curriculum seems very organized, good match rate, GME, small town feel, everyone was really nice at the interview, seems to prep well for boards (providing all the resources and time for the students)
Cons: Getting into Dothan is pretty hard with layover at ATL, letter grade (not P/F) and class rank, dress code, 60% or 80% mandatory attendance

PNWU
Pros: students seem very happy, established school with good match rate, supportive culture + nice faculty, higher chance of getting residency in the west coast, not too far from Seattle, everyone is approachable
Cons: reported to be unsafe although I didn't experience anything that made me feel that way, cold winter with snow, farther away from my family (not by a lot)

Thank you for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

PNWU for sure.

Mandatory attendance, dress codes, and letter grading/ranks are all things you'd want to avoid if at all possible.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi. I'm an OMS I at PNWU and I would choose a WA school over Atlanta any day. PNWU is newer but has a lot of great resources and the faculty and staff relationship is very tight-knit. I havent experienced any violence in the area other than two car break-ins near the outskirts of our parking lot but security was literally on top of it as it was happening. Theres been a few package thefts if you live in UP but they just installed special delivery mailboxes for that. Our head of security even carries a gun and has eyes all around the perimeter of the school and you need a badge to enter.

I also concur with the post above. Mandatory attendance is also a deal breaker. We dont have to attend most lectures unless there is a quiz.

First time posting, and I would love to hear advices on which school to choose!
I loved both schools during my interview and my time there. Tuition + cost of living seems to be comparable (2-3k difference/yr).
I don't reside close to AL nor WA, but I wish to eventually settle down in PNW or CA post medical training. I am not sure if attending school outside of west coast will lessen my chance of getting residency/job in those areas. Also, I plan on getting into IM or EM, and I think both schools will adequately prepare me for those specialties. Having that said,

ACOM
Pros: curriculum seems very organized, good match rate, GME, small town feel, everyone was really nice at the interview, seems to prep well for boards (providing all the resources and time for the students)
Cons: Getting into Dothan is pretty hard with layover at ATL, letter grade (not P/F) and class rank, dress code, 60% or 80% mandatory attendance

PNWU
Pros: students seem very happy, established school with good match rate, supportive culture + nice faculty, higher chance of getting residency in the west coast, not too far from Seattle, everyone is approachable
Cons: reported to be unsafe although I didn't experience anything that made me feel that way, cold winter with snow, farther away from my family (not by a lot)

Thank you for reading!

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Hi. I'm an OMS I at PNWU and I would choose a WA school over Atlanta any day. PNWU is newer but has a lot of great resources and the faculty and staff relationship is very tight-knit. I havent experienced any violence in the area other than two car break-ins near the outskirts of our parking lot but security was literally on top of it as it was happening. Theres been a few package thefts if you live in UP but they just installed special delivery mailboxes for that. Our head of security even carries a gun and has eyes all around the perimeter of the school and you need a badge to enter.

I also concur with the post above. Mandatory attendance is also a deal breaker. We dont have to attend most lectures unless there is a quiz.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile
Thank you so much for the response! I recently put down my deposit for PNWU.
All the students I met from PNWU seemed very happy with their experience at Yakima/PNWU + the camaraderie seemed to be pretty strong.
I'm glad to hear that the area near school seems to be safe with good security!