Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have seen this as well in terms of lower efficacy in the presence of stenosis, but I’d still try MBB/RF for them before sending them off to a surgeon. An MRI isn’t going to change that. I counsel patients on that, tell them that we can get an MRI to see if there is stenosis, or just do the MBBs which we would most likely do after the MRI anyway. Most choose to wait on the MRI.I've seen my fair share of patients with severe stenosis that have only axial lbp without neurogenic claudication. Their back pain is worse with extension, prolonged standing and walking. Universally these guys have not responded consistently to facet interventions as one would expect (b/c that's what I initially targeted in my first 7-8 years in practice). Had I not obtained the MRI, I would have had no idea that they had severe multifactorial stenosis. In addition, doing an interlaminar at a level of severe stenosis could cause more harm than good.