ACP or St. John's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandasweetie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which college is better? i can't decide between Albany College of Pharmacy or St. johns University in Queens, NYC. =[ i heard from many people Albany is better than St. Johns, but it is very competitive. i mean so is st. johns. then i heard Massachusetts one is easy to get in? so i'm really confused. i live in NY so i dont really want to go too far. What are the requirements for ACP? like does anyone know anyone from ACP. can you ask them what got them in? i mean im an A student, but like my SATs and essay writing isnt too good... so i'm really nervous. Can someone tell me what to do pleasE?!??! thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am on the faculty of St. John's in its business school as a management professor. As is the case with many St. John's faculty members, I am plugged into the web with Google alerts etc. to have mentions of my university pop right up when they occur. I have discussed St. John's pharmacy http://archive.stjohns.edu/pls/portal30/sjudev.school.pharmacy admissions with an admissions office staff member on behalf of the son of a friend. Like all pharmacy programs, St. John's is a bear to get into. Mediocre SAT scores will not hack it. My recollection is that only about a tenth of applicants get in. St. John's is a gem. It is located in Queens in New York City and has a student body from all over the world. That is an education in itself. The university is flush with funding for scholarships and such. We just completed a 200 million target fundraising effort that brought in $270 million. New science labs and facilities resulted among lots of other new buildings. Living in New York City versus living in Albany. Urm, do you have to thing long about that? Haha. Pharmacy is a grind but still being able to go out to exciting concerts, clubs and so on. In New York you have film noir neighborhoods like the East Village that fit wonderfully with being a young student. I suggest tightening up your posting grammar and style. Having IMesque grammar is not legitimating. Putting "johns" rather "John's" in "St. John's" is not the sort of effort that makes people from St. John's think you're the one for us! Soooooooooooo, in conclusion, I recommend you storm retaking the SAT exam. The prep books, software, courses, etc. Another idea would be to get into the best chemistry program you can and then ace out your courses for you first year and use that momentum to transfer into a good pharmacy program. (Remember I a professor in a non-pharmacy program, so I do not know how many transfers might be accepted, though). I just checked and unfortunately some years SJU accepts zero transfers into Pharmacy, though: http://www.stjohns.edu/academics/undergraduate/pharmacy/programs/pharmacy.sju

Which college is better? i can't decide between Albany College of Pharmacy or St. johns University in Queens, NYC. =[ i heard from many people Albany is better than St. Johns, but it is very competitive. i mean so is st. johns. then i heard Massachusetts one is easy to get in? so i'm really confused. i live in NY so i dont really want to go too far. What are the requirements for ACP? like does anyone know anyone from ACP. can you ask them what got them in? i mean im an A student, but like my SATs and essay writing isnt too good... so i'm really nervous. Can someone tell me what to do pleasE?!??! thanks!

apply to both and see which one you get into. both are excellent, but it might be more difficult than you think. your competition are people from this forum, and there are very few slackers here. if you do get into both, see which one you like more and stay there. but in general, you don't choose pharmacy schools. they choose you.