ACP's response to the IOM's Future of Nursing Report

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
More BSNs?:eek:
I only say this because BSN and "more education" does not mean more nurses working in hospitals, but rather more nurse managers. Nursing has gone away from intensive clinical hours like were once seen with hospital nursing degrees. Nursing theory is more akin to public health than clinical medicine resulting in more managorial nurses rather than ones who know how to start IV's, hang fluids, and when to call the physician outside of written "notify physician" orders.

As physicians we think that more education is better, but understand it's not the same education, and so is not always better. Now before I get lambasted, I know that there are many nurses who become APNs who have logged many hours as medics, and CCRN's before getting their degrees. If there were a way to standardize this experience fine. However, I feel very afraid of the silver spoon straight through BSN to APN with less than 2 years of inpatient experience.

I'm afraid to start my intern year feeling like I'm not prepared, and yet I have a nurse manager I work under (yes, I came from nursing so I'm not just spouting off pure opinion) who is completing his NP online!!! With a only couple months clinical work!!!