ACS General Chemistry Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hiperfectlyimperfect

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey so I'm in general chemistry 1 in a community college and I'm gonna be taking this exam in a week (which I just found out because a student asked about the final and the professor wasn't originally gonna tell us this early, but he couldn't lie so he did).

I'm so so stressed because I had no time to prepare for this as I was assuming it was gonna be his final. The professor isn't planning on giving us credit or dis-counting the questions we didn't go over in class. Also he said he's not curving the test at all. I know this is a nation-wide test taken by like 64 colleges or something and we're only a community college.

I was wondering if I tell this to the dean would anything happen? Or if there's any other thing I could do about this situation. I was wondering if anyone else didn't have it curved. Also is the study guide similar to the test?

I've been seeing students get their 52/70 get curved to a 100% and I'm just so upset about my situation. I tried talking to the chemistry department and they said its up to the professor if he wants to curve it or not as long as it wasn't in the syllabus. But now he's been taking stuff off from the syllabus last minute like homework and a whole lab he canceled which would've helped my grade a lot.

I need like an 80% on the test to get an A in the class and I'm not sure if I can do that given the percentiles and the performance of other students from previous years. But I need an A because I want to go for medicine and I just don't know what to do. And I can't talk to the professor about this because he's not the nicest guy in the world and won't budge. Do you guys think it would be hard to get an 80% raw without any curves?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hey so I'm in general chemistry 2 in a community college and I'm gonna be taking this exam in a week (which I just found out because a student asked about the final and the professor wasn't originally gonna tell us this early, but he couldn't lie so he did). I'm so so stressed because I had no time to prepare for this as I was assuming it was gonna be his final. I went through the study guide and there's a few sections I have no knowledge about and never studied (dynamics and equilibrium). The professor isn't planning on giving us credit or dis-counting the questions we didn't go over in class. Also he said he's not curving the test at all. I know this is a nation-wide test taken by like 64 colleges or something and we're only a community college. I was wondering if I tell this to the dean would anything happen? Or if there's any other thing I could do about this situation. I was wondering if anyone else didn't have it curved. Also is the study guide similar to the test?I've been seeing students get their 52/70 get curved to a 100% and I'm just so upset about my situation. I tried talking to the chemistry department and they said its up to the professor if he wants to curve it or not as long as it wasn't in the syllabus. But now he's been taking stuff off from the syllabus last minute like homework and a whole lab he canceled which would've helped my grade a lot. I need like an 80% on the test to get an A in the class and I'm not sure if I can do that given the percentiles and the performance of other students from previous years. But I need an A because I want to for medicine and I just don't know what to do. And I can't talk to the professor about this because he's not the nicest guy in the world and won't budge. Do you guys think it would be hard to get an 80% raw without any curves?

An 80% raw score on the ACS General Chemistry exam is a 56/70, which corresponds to 95th percentile performance. To put that in plain English: Out of 100 random students taking the test across the country, your score would have to land among the top 5 students.

Yes, that's very hard.

We took the ACS organic test as our final. That test was crazy. If he's not curving the test to a percentile he is being very unfair

Members don't see this ad :)
An 80% raw score on the ACS General Chemistry exam is a 56/70, which corresponds to 95th percentile performance. To put that in plain English: Out of 100 random students taking the test across the country, your score would have to land among the top 5 students.

Yes, that's very hard.

Lol yeah I know. Rip me. I got 90 to 95th percentile and above on my SATs and stuff, but I'm assuming this is much harder than high school standardized stuff. The weird part is I'm attending community college like not regular university, and even a decent amount of universities actually curve it. You would think they'd be more lenient and chill, but apparently not.

Update: Got my results... I'm literally balling... I got in the 100th percentile.... I don't know my raw, but I got a 100 on the test I'm so so so happy!!!

Update: Got my results... I'm literally balling... I got in the 100th percentile.... I don't know my raw, but I got a 100 on the test I'm so so so happy!!!

Congratulations!

On occasion you will encounter test questions on topics that were not covered in class. Please use this situation as an opportunity to develop your own self-teaching skills as these are essential skills that you will need later in life. Not everything covered on a test will be taught in class....

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations!

On occasion you will encounter test questions on topics that were not covered in class. Please use this situation as an opportunity to develop your own self-teaching skills as these are essential skills that you will need later in life. Not everything covered on a test will be taught in class....

Thank you! And your absolutely right. Will definitely remember this for the future.