ACS Organic Final

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bromination

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with this test that can give me an idea of what's like?

Members don't see this ad.

Its not too bad. Alot of nucleophilic attack, hallogenations, R/S designation, predicting products ect. I thought it was the easiest of all the ACS exams.

ACS exams tend to be more straightforward and less difficult than exams written by your lecturer or department.

Members don't see this ad :)
ACS exams tend to be more straightforward and less difficult than exams written by your lecturer or department.

I have an ACS final in genchem the week after next...

I just got used to how the professor writes exams and now we get hit with this "conceptual" ACS final. The professor used the word "conceptual", does that mean there are usually not any straight calculations? More hypotheticals: why does xx happen?

Yeah, our organic dept also used the ACS exams. Our professor was absolutely horrible but we just focused on knowing the basics of the typical reaction types and worked through sample problems and did fine.

I want to say I saw some study guides put out by the ACS folks at some point. Might want to do some searching to see if you can find one.

Mine is a week from wed. Let me know how it was when your done with it!

took it yesterday, its definitely doable if you understood the concepts the first time around. at my school they made it out to be the hardest test we would ever take.

So if I need to get a 90% on it or better to keep my A, is it doable?

Our school's chem club gets the prep book for the ACS ("Preparing for your ACS Examination in Organic Chemistry" or something like that) so my orgo prof brought in a whole bunch of them for any of us that wanted to buy them.

I got one and, at least compared to my prof's tests, the ACS seems like a piece of cake.

I took it last week. If you can get the official study guide in time, do it. It is very helpful. I made a 96% on it, so it is definitely doable.

Our school's chem club gets the prep book for the ACS ("Preparing for your ACS Examination in Organic Chemistry" or something like that) so my orgo prof brought in a whole bunch of them for any of us that wanted to buy them.

I got one and, at least compared to my prof's tests, the ACS seems like a piece of cake.

Your school library will very likely have a copy of the study guide in the chem section.

I ate that bitch for breakfast.

I thought it was the closest thing to the MCAT, definitely easier though. The curve helps out a lot because many students don't think that way so a lot of people will get many questions wrong.

Anyone who has already taken it have any key points/common themes of the test? I wish I had time to order the study guide before monday...