Bromination

10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyone have experience with this test that can give me an idea of what's like?

ColKurtz

Big Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Its not too bad. Alot of nucleophilic attack, hallogenations, R/S designation, predicting products ect. I thought it was the easiest of all the ACS exams.

Isoprop

Fascinating, tell me more
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2007
Status
Medical Student
ACS exams tend to be more straightforward and less difficult than exams written by your lecturer or department.

Wylde

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
ACS exams tend to be more straightforward and less difficult than exams written by your lecturer or department.
I have an ACS final in genchem the week after next...

I just got used to how the professor writes exams and now we get hit with this "conceptual" ACS final. The professor used the word "conceptual", does that mean there are usually not any straight calculations? More hypotheticals: why does xx happen?

nlax30

10+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Yeah, our organic dept also used the ACS exams. Our professor was absolutely horrible but we just focused on knowing the basics of the typical reaction types and worked through sample problems and did fine.

I want to say I saw some study guides put out by the ACS folks at some point. Might want to do some searching to see if you can find one.

olemissbabydoc

Baby Doctor
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2006
Between "there" and "there"
Status
Resident [Any Field]
my acs final is tues. fun fun.

OP
B

Bromination

10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Mine is a week from wed. Let me know how it was when your done with it!

meerkatmd

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2006
Dickinson, TX
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
took it yesterday, its definitely doable if you understood the concepts the first time around. at my school they made it out to be the hardest test we would ever take.

OP
B

Bromination

10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
So if I need to get a 90% on it or better to keep my A, is it doable?

GoldShadow

10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Our school's chem club gets the prep book for the ACS ("Preparing for your ACS Examination in Organic Chemistry" or something like that) so my orgo prof brought in a whole bunch of them for any of us that wanted to buy them.

I got one and, at least compared to my prof's tests, the ACS seems like a piece of cake.

sully677

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I took it last week. If you can get the official study guide in time, do it. It is very helpful. I made a 96% on it, so it is definitely doable.

LikesScience

class of 2012
10+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Our school's chem club gets the prep book for the ACS ("Preparing for your ACS Examination in Organic Chemistry" or something like that) so my orgo prof brought in a whole bunch of them for any of us that wanted to buy them.

I got one and, at least compared to my prof's tests, the ACS seems like a piece of cake.
Your school library will very likely have a copy of the study guide in the chem section.

Dedikated2liftn

Bodybuilder
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I ate that bitch for breakfast.

Dedikated2liftn

Bodybuilder
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2006
Status
Medical Student

plauto

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
I thought it was the closest thing to the MCAT, definitely easier though. The curve helps out a lot because many students don't think that way so a lot of people will get many questions wrong.

May 2, 2009
Status
Anyone who has already taken it have any key points/common themes of the test? I wish I had time to order the study guide before monday...