ACS/Xerox project for CVS/Caremark

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Estrace

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone heard of this before ? I got a call from a recruiter this morning offering me a face to face interview tomorrow for a position in their training class. I work for Walgreens right now and not really looking for a job, but the opportunity sounded really good the way he explained it to me on the phone. This is copied from the e-mail he sent to me. I need more information to decide if I want to go to the interview tomorrow.

Media Riders client ACS/Xerox did a pilot project with CVS/Caremark in
January. The goal of the project was to show CVS that they could manage the
incoming calls, which are all clinical review/prior authorization requests.
Media Riders is one of Xerox's top 5 vendors, so we were asked to help staff
the pilot. A long story short the pilot was a huge success and CVS keeps
giving Xerox more and more business, that we help Xerox staff. The project
has gotten so big that CVS has requested Xerox open another site...currently
everyone is working in Raleigh NC. Given the relationship Media Riders has
with Xerox, they decided to do the project in Houston where we are
headquartered. They flew out to Houston a few weeks ago to tour the ACS
office, and meet with us to put together a staffing plan. As it stands
today, we need to hire 40 Pharmacist for a class staring . Nov. 12th.

If selected for this project you would work for Media Riders on a contract
basis to Xerox for six months. To date Xerox has hired nearly 90% of all
the people we have provided them, so there is an excellent opportunity for
you to go full-time if you do a good job.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone heard of this before ? I got a call from a recruiter this morning offering me a face to face interview tomorrow for a position in their training class. I work for Walgreens right now and not really looking for a job, but the opportunity sounded really good the way he explained it to me on the phone. This is copied from the e-mail he sent to me. I need more information to decide if I want to go to the interview tomorrow.

Media Riders client ACS/Xerox did a pilot project with CVS/Caremark in
January. The goal of the project was to show CVS that they could manage the
incoming calls, which are all clinical review/prior authorization requests.
Media Riders is one of Xerox's top 5 vendors, so we were asked to help staff
the pilot. A long story short the pilot was a huge success and CVS keeps
giving Xerox more and more business, that we help Xerox staff. The project
has gotten so big that CVS has requested Xerox open another site...currently
everyone is working in Raleigh NC. Given the relationship Media Riders has
with Xerox, they decided to do the project in Houston where we are
headquartered. They flew out to Houston a few weeks ago to tour the ACS
office, and meet with us to put together a staffing plan. As it stands
today, we need to hire 40 Pharmacist for a class staring . Nov. 12th.

If selected for this project you would work for Media Riders on a contract
basis to Xerox for six months. To date Xerox has hired nearly 90% of all
the people we have provided them, so there is an excellent opportunity for
you to go full-time if you do a good job.

ACS/Xerox...audit and compliance...my favorite company :)

http://www.pharmdur.com/aboutus_instore.shtml

Media Riders, ACS and Xerox are just outsourcing or staffing companies and they can handle all sorts of things, not just pharmacy audits. This sounds like a call center for Caremark or possibly pharmacy centralization for CVS. Generally this type of job is good if you are having trouble coping with the physical aspects of retail pharmacy such as standing, no breaks, immunizations, etc, but they have their own pressures.

Members don't see this ad :)
Media Riders, ACS and Xerox are just outsourcing or staffing companies and they can handle all sorts of things, not just pharmacy audits. This sounds like a call center for Caremark or possibly pharmacy centralization for CVS. Generally this type of job is good if you are having trouble coping with the physical aspects of retail pharmacy such as standing, no breaks, immunizations, etc, but they have their own pressures.

Yes, I realize they do many different things. I was merely stating that part of Xerox. :)

I actually do not have any trouble with retail (except occasional headaches from senior techs and the distance I drive to work). I have decided to not go to this interview. I have only been with walgreens for roughly 4months now. I don't want it to look like I'm jumping from job to job. it does sound like a call center type of job and that's not what I went to pharmacy school for.

dude you missed out....im in the last batch of 28 pharmacists that recently joined....i quit walgreens..there is a bunch of older retail pharmacists that quit their jobs to work here...there are like 150 pharmacists working here...one guy that graduated in 2012 drove all the way from chicago to houston in a day to get this job....there's this other pharmacist that flew in from london to get this job....we are still training...i will let yall know how it goes...

dude you missed out....im in the last batch of 28 pharmacists that recently joined....i quit walgreens..there is a bunch of older retail pharmacists that quit their jobs to work here...there are like 150 pharmacists working here...one guy that graduated in 2012 drove all the way from chicago to houston in a day to get this job....there's this other pharmacist that flew in from london to get this job....we are still training...i will let yall know how it goes...

You can't say I missed out because you are still training. I know people who joined them back in November . I spoke to a couple of them in January when the recruiter kept telling me I was making a mistake staying with walgreens and it still doesn't sound like something I would love to do. To each their own though.

So what kind of positions do you go into after you "do a good job" and Xerox hires you? Just wondering about the career opportunity thereafter.

Estrace wrote "it does sound like a call center type of job and that's not what I went to pharmacy school for. "

as opposed to telling people what aisle the toilet paper is at or working at a hybrid style of drive thru with banking customer service and mcdonalds customers demanding their prescription being filled within 5 minutes.

Estrace wrote "it does sound like a call center type of job and that's not what I went to pharmacy school for. "

as opposed to telling people what aisle the toilet paper is at or working at a hybrid style of drive thru with banking customer service and mcdonalds customers demanding their prescription being filled within 5 minutes.

Heard ACS/Xerox fired 140 pharmacists. I wanted to laugh so hard when I heard that. So did you get canned too ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Heard ACS/Xerox fired 140 pharmacists. I wanted to laugh so hard when I heard that. So did you get canned too ?

what happened to them? why were they let go?

why? it is so easy. You can always find something

hehe you gotta eat right?

I got children to feed!

Buy a smaller house next time!

If this is true then unfortunately, these pharmacists took a gamble and now they are out of a job.

It's a scary time to be in pharmacy.

Never take a gamble with ur career, all 140 pharmacist are scrambling for a job, kinda knew it would happen. The company was to shady during the interview, I'm glad I stayed with Walgreens.

hey everyone....so it is true that 150 pharmacist got laid off!..haha..it was like survivor but with pharmacists. They actually had another batch right after mine. They came to work for 2 hours and told them they had to go home. There was no more work for them. Literally, caremark pulled the restrictions on some of the drug prior authorizations around February 14. This job requires you to know how to use dos based programs. This was a contract job. I'm young and I could do this. There were idiots that were married with kids that quit their jobs and got pissed when they got let go. When you get a staffing company that does the hiring, most likely it is just prn work. There are lots of insurance companies that hire pharmacists for this kind of work. The thing is you got to have experience to get this job. IF you are looking for a chill job this is it. All we did were Prior Authorizations. I will give yall an example of what I did. Nurse would call from Dr office stating this patient needs authorization for livalo. I would tell her this is going to be a Nonformulary drug request. Is there any reason why the patient can't try simvastatin, crestor, lovastatin, or pravastatin? Yeah patient tried crestor but had a reaction. OK what about simvastatin? They haven't tried that. That is on the formulary covered as a Tier 1. OKay we will try that. End of case. Our job is getting patients on the formulary and saving the federal government money. Think about it, do you think a patient should get Livalo without trying generics first? Medicare Part D is like welfare in another form.

so what happened to you? did you get your old job back?

So - I was one of those RPh's who thought - hey - I'll give this a try (ACS-Xerox) so
I will provide you with what my experience was --

First off - this "contract to hire" terminology that they use is double-talk for "temporary work" -- knowing this would have alleviated a lot of angry people who were let go. I knew several people who left other jobs, and a few who even traveled from out of state for the job, and were let go less than 2 months after being hired. (not due to anything they did)

Regarding hiring from media riders: Total snow job from Media Riders. They bug you to death until you say yes, and then you can't get anyone to respond to you when you need something (like getting an actual pay stub printed). Ugh. I would likely not want to deal with these folks again.

The verbiage "Xerox hires 90% of our people" is complete malarkey. They might as well say We'll fly you to the moon and back. They have no idea what ACS-Xerox will do and frankly, my impression was that neither did the Xerox folks.

They hired at a frenetic pace, and literally RPH's and techs were packed into hot, stuffy offices/cubes like sardines. About half the people were working at those cheap fold up tables you get from Costco (8 to a table mind you). A lot of chaos and lack of direction, information, management.................

I am a long time RPH who has worked everything from retail, community, corporate, pharmaceutical consulting, internet management for pharmaceutical, hospital.....a wide variety of experiences in pharmacy related areas, dealing with anyone from everyday people to international pharmaceutical corporate executives.

I can honestly say this was the most poorly run project I have ever been a part of.
"Training" was pretty much on the fly -- and management, team guidance, project direction were non existent. One day you are told one thing, the next day you are told something completely different YET you are then "dinged" for your work -- repeatedly -- whether the rules have changed or not.

In the same way that hospitals and retail pharmacies have rules & regs, the three pharmaceutical corporations that I have worked doing regulatory type work for had very clear policies and procedures......but not here ---these folks work from "emails" (which (in my experience) is completely unacceptable, particularly in regulatory type work settings).

Someone sends an email about doing something completely differently from what you were originally told to do, and it trickles down after a day or two to those doing the actual work, but by then you've processed hundreds of cases the way you were trained, and now your work is "wrong" (and you are "dinged" for it) By "dinged" - I mean your name is added to an email list sent around to anyone involved in your ultimate hiring by Xerox, and you will be asked about it at some point either via email or in person.

Were this to happen occasionally would be understandable. That this happened daily, sometimes multiple times was an unacceptable way of handling regulatory work.

In addition to taking live calls, they also expect you to process upwards of 40 "computer cases" a day and repeatedly check your email (because again -- there is always something changing and this is their mode of corporate communication). Total lack of policy and procedures.

The operating systems are somewhat archaic (of course expected wherever federal government work is involved), which adds to the chaos.

Our hands on "training" was shortened from 4 weeks to 2 1/2 before we were thrown into actually processing cases. One day I was unable to get into the Xerox computer system itself, and it took almost 3 hours for someone from IT to walk next door to get me back into the Xerox system (at least the government systems you can call for help, and get back on rather quickly). The next week I was questioned as to why I was "not working" for 3 hours that day............

Because there are two locations (Raleigh NC & Houston TX) and there is no official training and/or trainers, the new employees get a variety of opinions on how to handle certain cases......If you are the one cleaning up someone else's case who was done "wrong" (depending on that day's rules) -- then your name gets tagged with a problem case, and you will be questioned about it at some point. It becomes a Houston pointing finger at Raleigh folks and vice-versa.

They tell you right up front that no one will handle two cases the same way and that you could "both be right"............completely maddening.

An example - If a doctor writes for temazepam for insomnia, we were "trained" that it was an automatic approval, since there were no other benzodiazepines listed for insomnia on the silverscript formulary. The other BZD's were listed under the "anti-anxiety" formulary heading. These cases were surefire "dings" because Houston thought it should be done one way, and Raleigh thought differently.

There were so many cases going "untimely" (not processed within the federal regulatory timelines) that the federal government finally "lifted" (removed) the prior approvals on many drugs (since they didn't have enough staff to process all the untimely cases). Ultimately, that meant less rejects, less prior authorizations, and goodbye to the vast majority of new hires for Media Riders/ACS-Xerox.

Literally, I was let go via email. Others I knew were let go within an hour after arriving to work. Yes, I did hear there were several enraged people over the whole thing -- who made scenes at the actual "office."

Of course, anyone would agree that it is enraging to be a "professional" and to be basically lied to.

There are other pharmacy jobs out there, and in the long run it will be just another experience that I have learned from.

The good thing about the job is that you were not on your feet for your shift, and you did not have to work weekends (without monetary compensation).

The bad things, other than what I've already mentioned, is that it was really stressful to feel you were under the microscope and yet - you had no control over your own work performance. Many days - I went without lunch or bathroom break so I would not be labeled as "a slow worker or not working".............

Sorry for the long post, but this should give you an idea at least of what my experience with them was. I am not a new RPh, nor an "old" RPh -- just a seasoned professional with a variety of work experiences.

I'd say avoid this whole situation, unless you need the job.....................

Wow, so I have an interview with this company in a few days and reading the comments are telling. I have seen alot of folks on linkedin with this as a job and curious on whether this is a contract or long-standing position, considering their offering me health benefits and 401K. Whats the typical pay for this role?

It depends on your experience but most people started at $45/hr. And I've heard the pay has gone down since then so expect something in that range. And keep in mind its a contract job so don't stop your job search.

Are they still using media riders as their contractor?

hey everyone....so it is true that 150 pharmacist got laid off!..haha..it was like survivor but with pharmacists. They actually had another batch right after mine. They came to work for 2 hours and told them they had to go home. There was no more work for them. Literally, caremark pulled the restrictions on some of the drug prior authorizations around February 14. This job requires you to know how to use dos based programs. This was a contract job. I'm young and I could do this. There were idiots that were married with kids that quit their jobs and got pissed when they got let go. When you get a staffing company that does the hiring, most likely it is just prn work. There are lots of insurance companies that hire pharmacists for this kind of work. The thing is you got to have experience to get this job. IF you are looking for a chill job this is it. All we did were Prior Authorizations. I will give yall an example of what I did. Nurse would call from Dr office stating this patient needs authorization for livalo. I would tell her this is going to be a Nonformulary drug request. Is there any reason why the patient can't try simvastatin, crestor, lovastatin, or pravastatin? Yeah patient tried crestor but had a reaction. OK what about simvastatin? They haven't tried that. That is on the formulary covered as a Tier 1. OKay we will try that. End of case. Our job is getting patients on the formulary and saving the federal government money. Think about it, do you think a patient should get Livalo without trying generics first? Medicare Part D is like welfare in another form.
where you at the NC office or the Houston?

So - I was one of those RPh's who thought - hey - I'll give this a try (ACS-Xerox) so
I will provide you with what my experience was --

First off - this "contract to hire" terminology that they use is double-talk for "temporary work" -- knowing this would have alleviated a lot of angry people who were let go. I knew several people who left other jobs, and a few who even traveled from out of state for the job, and were let go less than 2 months after being hired. (not due to anything they did)

Regarding hiring from media riders: Total snow job from Media Riders. They bug you to death until you say yes, and then you can't get anyone to respond to you when you need something (like getting an actual pay stub printed). Ugh. I would likely not want to deal with these folks again.

The verbiage "Xerox hires 90% of our people" is complete malarkey. They might as well say We'll fly you to the moon and back. They have no idea what ACS-Xerox will do and frankly, my impression was that neither did the Xerox folks.

They hired at a frenetic pace, and literally RPH's and techs were packed into hot, stuffy offices/cubes like sardines. About half the people were working at those cheap fold up tables you get from Costco (8 to a table mind you). A lot of chaos and lack of direction, information, management.................

I am a long time RPH who has worked everything from retail, community, corporate, pharmaceutical consulting, internet management for pharmaceutical, hospital.....a wide variety of experiences in pharmacy related areas, dealing with anyone from everyday people to international pharmaceutical corporate executives.

I can honestly say this was the most poorly run project I have ever been a part of.
"Training" was pretty much on the fly -- and management, team guidance, project direction were non existent. One day you are told one thing, the next day you are told something completely different YET you are then "dinged" for your work -- repeatedly -- whether the rules have changed or not.

In the same way that hospitals and retail pharmacies have rules & regs, the three pharmaceutical corporations that I have worked doing regulatory type work for had very clear policies and procedures......but not here ---these folks work from "emails" (which (in my experience) is completely unacceptable, particularly in regulatory type work settings).

Someone sends an email about doing something completely differently from what you were originally told to do, and it trickles down after a day or two to those doing the actual work, but by then you've processed hundreds of cases the way you were trained, and now your work is "wrong" (and you are "dinged" for it) By "dinged" - I mean your name is added to an email list sent around to anyone involved in your ultimate hiring by Xerox, and you will be asked about it at some point either via email or in person.

Were this to happen occasionally would be understandable. That this happened daily, sometimes multiple times was an unacceptable way of handling regulatory work.

In addition to taking live calls, they also expect you to process upwards of 40 "computer cases" a day and repeatedly check your email (because again -- there is always something changing and this is their mode of corporate communication). Total lack of policy and procedures.

The operating systems are somewhat archaic (of course expected wherever federal government work is involved), which adds to the chaos.

Our hands on "training" was shortened from 4 weeks to 2 1/2 before we were thrown into actually processing cases. One day I was unable to get into the Xerox computer system itself, and it took almost 3 hours for someone from IT to walk next door to get me back into the Xerox system (at least the government systems you can call for help, and get back on rather quickly). The next week I was questioned as to why I was "not working" for 3 hours that day............

Because there are two locations (Raleigh NC & Houston TX) and there is no official training and/or trainers, the new employees get a variety of opinions on how to handle certain cases......If you are the one cleaning up someone else's case who was done "wrong" (depending on that day's rules) -- then your name gets tagged with a problem case, and you will be questioned about it at some point. It becomes a Houston pointing finger at Raleigh folks and vice-versa.

They tell you right up front that no one will handle two cases the same way and that you could "both be right"............completely maddening.

An example - If a doctor writes for temazepam for insomnia, we were "trained" that it was an automatic approval, since there were no other benzodiazepines listed for insomnia on the silverscript formulary. The other BZD's were listed under the "anti-anxiety" formulary heading. These cases were surefire "dings" because Houston thought it should be done one way, and Raleigh thought differently.

There were so many cases going "untimely" (not processed within the federal regulatory timelines) that the federal government finally "lifted" (removed) the prior approvals on many drugs (since they didn't have enough staff to process all the untimely cases). Ultimately, that meant less rejects, less prior authorizations, and goodbye to the vast majority of new hires for Media Riders/ACS-Xerox.

Literally, I was let go via email. Others I knew were let go within an hour after arriving to work. Yes, I did hear there were several enraged people over the whole thing -- who made scenes at the actual "office."

Of course, anyone would agree that it is enraging to be a "professional" and to be basically lied to.

There are other pharmacy jobs out there, and in the long run it will be just another experience that I have learned from.

The good thing about the job is that you were not on your feet for your shift, and you did not have to work weekends (without monetary compensation).

The bad things, other than what I've already mentioned, is that it was really stressful to feel you were under the microscope and yet - you had no control over your own work performance. Many days - I went without lunch or bathroom break so I would not be labeled as "a slow worker or not working".............

Sorry for the long post, but this should give you an idea at least of what my experience with them was. I am not a new RPh, nor an "old" RPh -- just a seasoned professional with a variety of work experiences.

I'd say avoid this whole situation, unless you need the job.....................
I have been to the Henderson NC office, it did not seem near as crazy as how you describe