You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
ACT vs MCAT
Started by greatestpastime
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
greatestpastime said:I know most of you guys are in the later stages of college and don't care to think about the ACT, but if you could post your MCAT and ACT score it would give me a good idea of the correlation between the two and my abilities.
thanks!
I dunno if there's a correlation. People change a lot in four years.
I had an adcom tell me during a mock interview that they considered ACT scores to be good indicators of future MCAT scores. I don't know if they have a direct conversion in mind though. I don't mind sharing if it helps you out somehow...
ACT: 33
MCAT: 39Q
ACT: 33
MCAT: 39Q
32 on both, ironically enough
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't more people usually take the SATs than ACT?
As someone said there's not a good correlation. MCAT is taken by a much smaller and brighter group of students than SAT or ACT and MCAT is based on a curve and I am not sure about ACT. Mine were 25 ACT and 31 MCAT if that helps.
Act: 27
Mcat: 37
Mcat: 37
ACT: 24 (no studying, three years after high school, just took it to support my siister-in-law who took it the same day)
MCAT: 26N (9P, 9V, 8B) then 31Q (9P, 10V, 12B)
MCAT: 26N (9P, 9V, 8B) then 31Q (9P, 10V, 12B)
Um. Haven't taken the mcat yet...but I'll fill you in later. I was prepped for the SAT through high school and just took the ACT for the hell of it..got like a 32 or something..had no idea whether that was even good or not.
Got a 27 on both with little to no prep for either. Preparation is recommended for the MCAT, though.
greatestpastime said:I know most of you guys are in the later stages of college and don't care to think about the ACT, but if you could post your MCAT and ACT score it would give me a good idea of the correlation between the two and my abilities.
thanks!
Edit: oops, duplicate post.
greatestpastime said:I know most of you guys are in the later stages of college and don't care to think about the ACT, but if you could post your MCAT and ACT score it would give me a good idea of the correlation between the two and my abilities.
thanks!
Doing well on a pre-undergrad exam doesn't mean anything for a pre-professional school exam, since your performance on the latter is standardized to a pool of much more intelligent people. However, doing poorly on the ACT or SAT probably correlates very well with doing poorly on the MCAT.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A
acrobat
29 ACT 1290 SAT 30P MCAT, waiting on a second try for the MCAT which will becoming soon- hopefully improved 🙂
tacrum43 said:28 ACT
30 MCAT
I didn't know that we were exactly supposed to "prepare" for the ACT. 😳
taylormade44 said:Don't more people usually take the SATs than ACT?
THat's what I thought??? I guess people in the mid west primarily take the ACT's. I don't know what they have against SAT's.
QofQuimica
Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
This topic has been discussed before, and the general consensus is that there isn't a strong correlation between the MCAT and either the SAT or ACT. Probably the biggest reason is that most people study for the MCAT, and most people do not study for the SAT or ACT. The tests are pretty different. You could definitely not have predicted my MCAT score from my SAT, ACT, or GRE scores. I did well on those tests, but not crazy well.
Act - 34
Mcat - 38r
Mcat - 38r
ACT: 35 (with 1 week of prep)
MCAT: ??? (expecting 33-35)
I highly doubt I'll be in the 99th percentile for the MCAT though...I hope there was a correlation, but I doubt it
MCAT: ??? (expecting 33-35)
I highly doubt I'll be in the 99th percentile for the MCAT though...I hope there was a correlation, but I doubt it
thanks a lot! If nothing else this gives me confidence that I can achieve the score I want with some dedication. From what I have seen, it doesn't seem there is much correlation.
I think it's funny how much students study for the ACT now. When I took it I just showed up and did it. It sounds like it's getting more and more like the MCAT. I guess we have that one person who decided to beat the curve and study for the MCAT to thank. ;-)
I got a 30 on the ACT (got a 28 the first time I took it) and a 31 on the MCAT.
I got a 30 on the ACT (got a 28 the first time I took it) and a 31 on the MCAT.
ACT (very very sick): 29
SAT: 1430 or 1490 or something, can't remember
MCAT: 41
SAT: 1430 or 1490 or something, can't remember
MCAT: 41
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would compare the individual sections of the ACT because math isn't THAT important (25% of test) and writing skills aren't important hardly at all (except for the pass/fail writing section).
But then I thought of my scores....
I got a 36 in reading comp. and a 32 in the science reasoning.
MCAT
Verbal=12
BS=14
PS=14
Oh well, so much for my theory 🙄
But then I thought of my scores....
I got a 36 in reading comp. and a 32 in the science reasoning.
MCAT
Verbal=12
BS=14
PS=14
Oh well, so much for my theory 🙄
oh man, this thread reminds me of good times
didn't take act, took sat and it was 1390 i think
mcat is 37N
did u guys take satII?
i somehow remember that the science materials for mcat are almost exactly the same as those for the satII, (bio, chem, etc)
didn't take act, took sat and it was 1390 i think
mcat is 37N
did u guys take satII?
i somehow remember that the science materials for mcat are almost exactly the same as those for the satII, (bio, chem, etc)
S
SpinEcho13
I took SATII's, don't think I scored better than 600 on any of them, but I don't remember.
I also scored a 36 in the ACT reading and got a 11 VR on the MCAT, and a 27 science, 14PS 12BS, so much for any correlation 😉
I think when it comes down to it, a high ACT score without studying likely shows you are intelligent and possess the ability do well on the MCAT provided you put in the time. If you studied for the ACT all bets are off because your score is no longer an indication of your testing ability in general; you could do really well or very poorly.
I also scored a 36 in the ACT reading and got a 11 VR on the MCAT, and a 27 science, 14PS 12BS, so much for any correlation 😉
I think when it comes down to it, a high ACT score without studying likely shows you are intelligent and possess the ability do well on the MCAT provided you put in the time. If you studied for the ACT all bets are off because your score is no longer an indication of your testing ability in general; you could do really well or very poorly.
Sat: 1420 (math 660, verbal 760)
Mcat: 35 (PS 11, VR 11, BS 13)
Mcat: 35 (PS 11, VR 11, BS 13)
I guess I'll jump in too...
SAT 1320 (580 Verbal + 740 math)
MCAT 33 (11 V, 12 PS 10 BS)
SAT 1320 (580 Verbal + 740 math)
MCAT 33 (11 V, 12 PS 10 BS)
It was 17 years ago (I don't totally remember), but...
ACT 1989 = 31
SAT 1989 = 1170 (isn't there a different scale now?)
MCAT 2006 = 33
ACT 1989 = 31
SAT 1989 = 1170 (isn't there a different scale now?)
MCAT 2006 = 33
ACT: 24 (no studying, three years after high school, just took it to support my siister-in-law who took it the same day)
MCAT: 26N (9P, 9V, 8B) then 31Q (9P, 10V, 12B)
ACT: 24... i am definitely NOT a scholar & my grades in high school were mediocre
MCAT: 33Q... i have no idea how in the hell i managed that one...lol
I had an adcom tell me during a mock interview that they considered ACT scores to be good indicators of future MCAT scores. I don't know if they have a direct conversion in mind though. I don't mind sharing if it helps you out somehow...
ACT: 33
MCAT: 39Q
I got a 36 on the ACT, so I'm *definitely* hoping that it's a good indicator... (I'm hearing back in a month)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The adcoms that I have talked to said there is more of a correlation between the MCAT and USMLE scores than your ACT and MCAT score. The MCAT is more science based while the ACT is more general knowledge. Also the ACT is taken by a broad group of students while the MCAT is taken by a narrower group.
ACT-31
SAT-1310
MCAT-41
I was a complete F-off in high school then I got serious in college...
SAT-1310
MCAT-41
I was a complete F-off in high school then I got serious in college...
SAT: 1300 (700 math 600 verbal)
MCAT: 33Q
MCAT: 33Q
Thread closed. Please do not bump years old threads.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.