Activating/Deactivating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jaba

S.mutans
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought that OH was a strong activating group?

--> Destroyer says that OH is deactivating.... ??

Members don't see this ad.

Huh!? you sure?

What number is this?

My destroyer book classifies OH as an Ortho/Para director which activates the ring. The only O/P directors which deactivate an aromatic ring is NO and halogens.

Destroyer seems correct to me, don't know which problems you're referring to but solution to #13 clearly shows that Destroyer classifies OH as an O/P Activator.

im almost 100% sure OH is an activating group (o,p) director...

THe only thing you have to memorize is that halogens are o/p directing deactivators. The rest you can think it through logically. Example:

NO2- The nitrogen is bonded to the benzene ring. The O is more electronegative than N so it has the - charge giving N a partial + charge. The + charge on the N withdaws the e- from the benzene ring deactivating it.

NH2- On the other hand N is once again bonded to the benzene ring. H has the + charge and N has the - charge in this case. Therefore the N is donating its - charge to the ring making NH2 a (o/p) directing activator.

remember deactivators direct meta except halogens

activators direct o/p

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok thanks!

I confused OH with NO.

STUDY BREAK! LOL

ok thanks!

In destroyer, its Q # 13.

answer says: NO and Halogens are o/p directors, but deactivate the ring.

found it a bit odd.

Yeah that is correct but it says that OH is an activating group and O/P director.