Active duty looking for advice on degree plan...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sqiiii

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm currently active duty and looking to use my current college credits to complete a degree and try and apply to Med-school when I finish my contract (3-4 years). Unfortunately, my previous college credits are extemely heavy on the Liberal Arts side and non-existent on the math and sciences.

That being said, is a BA in Psychology frowned upon (assuming the prerequisite are met)? Also, does it look poorly to have your lab courses come from a community college? The only 4 year university in the area's science, biology, and medical departments are all located in a different city (well a different island really) and commuting would be too time and cost prohibitive. Likewise, the BA would be an online degree. Is there a strong bias against science courses taken at a community college?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on your GPA. If you have a competitive GPA with your BA and then do well in your pre-reqs, doesn't matter if it's from a CC or university.

If your GPA is low, it may be beneficial to go to a 4 year university where you can pick up additional upper level science classes or another degree to raise your GPA as high as you can.

Hey everyone, I'm currently active duty and looking to use my current college credits to complete a degree and try and apply to Med-school when I finish my contract (3-4 years). Unfortunately, my previous college credits are extemely heavy on the Liberal Arts side and non-existent on the math and sciences.

That being said, is a BA in Psychology frowned upon (assuming the prerequisite are met)? Also, does it look poorly to have your lab courses come from a community college? The only 4 year university in the area's science, biology, and medical departments are all located in a different city (well a different island really) and commuting would be too time and cost prohibitive. Likewise, the BA would be an online degree. Is there a strong bias against science courses taken at a community college?

1. No.

2. Some med schools won't accept CC credits for pre-reqs. Do your research and look up the schools you're interested in before making a decision. All the info should be on their website. At the same time, if you contact them and explain your situation, many schools are able to make exceptions for veterans.

Members don't see this ad :)
Basically the lab courses will be the only courses taken in person. The other courses are all web based (somewhere between 12 and 24 credits I think). The rest of the credits are CLEP tests and credits transferred over from my early days as an undergrad and time at two other community colleges (one I graduated from with an associates).

Edit: and probably one or two military trainings transferred as ACE credits

All in all it would be a very patchwork degree :/

Hmm, I think I misspoke. All except 12-24 credits will be done in person...the 12-24 credits however are the only ones that will be taken at the school conferring the degree.

But yes, that's honestly the reason I'm asking here. To see if it would be with it to take try and earn the online degree, or if it would be better to wait until I get out and pursue a traditional degree.

Still the response so far seems mixed, so I'll keep an eye on here and keep researching my options.

When I joined the military 5 years ago, I had some college credit to my name and a very low GPA (2 ish). In the military I ramped up my college education while performing my duties, taking on collateral duties, and volunteering. So while getting a degree on active duty is no walk in the park, it is very doable. I would suggest doing it in something you enjoy just in case medical school does not pan out.

I did my first B.S in Finance (3.8 GPA) while deployed because I like the subject. The best part about it was that the Navy paid for it through Tuition Assistance (TA). So I got a free degree that only cost me the price for books and few hundred hours of lost sleep and partying. Once I finished that, I decided to get my Master's (MBA) (3.9 GPA) also while on deployment. Once again, the Navy paid for it in full and I paid only books and hours studying. Finally, I decided well I have a year left, I saved a ton while in the Navy and focused on school, I think I will do my Psychology degree which I now have a 4.0 GPA in. Why you may ask? Well because it is interesting to me, that's why.

Besides traditional schooling I also CLEP/DSST 13 classes, again for free. The military has so much more to offer you than simply being able to call yourself a veteran when you get out. I suggest you balance your time between serving and helping yourself.