Active Duty pay for Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ken0101

Reaction score
So, I am wanting to go to dental school. I’m on active duty in the military and wondering if there is a program or branch that I could transfer into while receiving my active duty pay and completing dental school?

I am sure this would come with a payback of about 7 or 8 years, which Is not a problem I just want to become a dentist.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So, I am wanting to go to dental school. I’m on active duty in the military and wondering if there is a program or branch that I could transfer into while receiving my active duty pay and completing dental school?

I am sure this would come with a payback of about 7 or 8 years, which Is not a problem I just want to become a dentist.
Look into the Navy’s HSCP program. It’s the best way to go if you have time in service and still have the GI Bill.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
Great program. I know some folks who took this route and by the time they finish their obligation they are ready for retirement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Look for Health Services Collegiate Program (HSCP).

Problem is you may not be able to use the GI bill while in school and your monthly HSCP pay is usually not enough to cover full cost of attendance(I applied for the GI bill while in school and was rejected while on HSCP). I have however, met some people who were successful in using it while in school.
I think the difference is if you are eligible for the GI Bill based on service prior to the HSCP. If you have no prior service, you are SOL on the HSCP.

Big Hoss

My buddies who used it were prior service so they were able to use their GI Bill. I recommend a state school so the GI Bill would cover tuition and fees, otherwise you are capped at like $22K a year.
Being on Active Duty automatically qualifies you for state residency for tuition purposes because the location of the school is where you are “stationed.”

Reactions: 3 users