Activities/Hobbies: Too long ago to include?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hebrewBAMmer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a nontrad so a number of my experiences were done in undergrad some time ago but influenced my decision to want to go to medical school. For example, I was a volunteer at Children's Hospital in my hometown from 2006-2007 and when I would visit home during school breaks through 2010 (clinical volunteering). I also did about 80 hrs worth of physician shadowing in 2008-2009. These were quite influential for me, but obviously were some time ago. Are they still ok to include on the AMCAS activities section or are they too old to be included? The more recent volunteering I've been doing is hospice volunteering, but that's me going to peoples' homes and not so much in a clinic setting, so I don't think it counts as clinical volunteering. (In addition, I'm trying to get in contact with physicians to do some more shadowing that would be considered recent)

One other question: From reading, it sounds like people commonly make one section in the activities list for "Personal hobbies" to show adcoms they are well-rounded. Here are hobbies I do and I wanted to know if they were okay to include (this would all be in one entry):

Singing lessons
Playing video game music on piano
Collecting autographs of Disney voice actors/actresses
Studying sports statistics for recreational sports betting

Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a nontrad so a number of my experiences were done in undergrad some time ago but influenced my decision to want to go to medical school. For example, I was a volunteer at Children's Hospital in my hometown from 2006-2007 and when I would visit home during school breaks through 2010 (clinical volunteering). I also did about 80 hrs worth of physician shadowing in 2008-2009. These were quite influential for me, but obviously were some time ago. Are they still ok to include on the AMCAS activities section or are they too old to be included? The more recent volunteering I've been doing is hospice volunteering, but that's me going to peoples' homes and not so much in a clinic setting, so I don't think it counts as clinical volunteering. (In addition, I'm trying to get in contact with physicians to do some more shadowing that would be considered recent)

One other question: From reading, it sounds like people commonly make one section in the activities list for "Personal hobbies" to show adcoms they are well-rounded. Here are hobbies I do and I wanted to know if they were okay to include (this would all be in one entry):

Singing lessons
Playing video game music on piano
Collecting autographs of Disney voice actors/actresses
Studying sports statistics for recreational sports betting

Thanks for the advice!
I think the shadowing and CH volunteering are fine, but I'd be careful about mentioning all those hobbies; maybe drop the "video game" part of the piano one, and I wouldn't include the autographs of Disney voice actors or the sports betting if I were you.

Reactions: 1 user