Should I include stories in my activities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhoenixRising77

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've heard mixed messages about including stories in activity descriptions. I fully intend to include stories for my three most meaningful activities. But how do adcoms prefer the format of the regular activity descriptions? I'm unsure about including stories for every activity, but I want to effectively communicate my ecs. I'd appreciate any advice or good resources.

Members don't see this ad.

My reaction:
Season 5 No GIF by The Office

Shaq No GIF

Ask our official Work/Activities Feedback subforum.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
My reaction:
Season 5 No GIF by The Office

Shaq No GIF

Ask our official Work/Activities Feedback subforum.
I will consult with the work/activites thread! A lot of premeds online (reddit) use Dr. Gray and recommend stories. I didn't during my first app, but I just wanted to confirm.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will consult with the work/activites thread! A lot of premeds online (reddit) use Dr. Gray and recommend stories. I didn't during my first app, but I just wanted to confirm.
I like Ryan as a colleague. He's well intentioned but is IMO totally wrong.

At least you know a lot of premeds whose dreams of application domination will fall short of expectations. (We >>> reddit)

Last edited:
It’s nice to write a line or two about why activities were significant to you, at least for those with significant hours. Even if they aren’t your MMA, write a few words about how these activities impacted you.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s nice to write a line or two about why activities were significant to you, at least for those with significant hours. Even if they aren’t your MMA, write a few words about how these activities impacted you.
I agree with this. OP, you don't need to write about a specific patient/personal interaction for all of your 15 activities. That would be overdoing it. On the flip side, many applicants make the mistake of writing their 15 activities like a CV in which they simply talk about what was done.

What most activities should have is some reflection about why you chose to pursue that activity, why it was important to you, and/or what you learned from it. It's fine and normal for these motivations, lessons and take-aways to be unrelated to medicine: e.g. don't appear disingenuous by trying to connect your working at Wendy's to your interest in cardiology. Adcom members hate cow poop. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 5 users
I'll continue the "story" suggestion. The advice is better for the PS, but there are so many who take the advice to the extreme that it renders the PS ineffective. Then the prospect of reading up to 15 more "vignettes" makes me wish to push the "dump" button.

You cannot be a one-trick pony.

Reactions: 1 users
On the flip side, many applicants make the mistake of writing their 15 activities like a CV in which they simply talk about what was done.
So to present the slightly contrary view... you have to thread the needle. You absolutely need a reflection sentence (not a "moral of the experience"). But a lot of different audiences read W/A and not all of them will read them like the PS.

I look for accomplishments in the W/A. Numbers showing impact visually stand out AND they are fast to notice if you screen and if you are a faculty member. Numbers show data, and faculty love data.

If you fundraise, how many accounts or people did you contact? How much money did you raise towards the overall goal? In the STAR format, I want to see some Tasks, a lot of Action/Results, and a little Reflection. This is consistent with advice in writing resumes and CVs.

What you write must not upset screeners and should be easy for pre-interview reviewers to support sending you an invite.

So, I've heard mixed messages about including stories in activity descriptions. I fully intend to include stories for my three most meaningful activities. But how do adcoms prefer the format of the regular activity descriptions? I'm unsure about including stories for every activity, but I want to effectively communicate my ecs. I'd appreciate any advice or good resources.
Pardon me, but I think you're asking the wrong question. The question should be "Do I have a story that can effectively enhance my answer be it a PS, MME or activity description?"

I like anecdotes BUT forced, trivial, or irrelevant stories are no good. A string of stories without a common theme for your PS will not enhance your reputation as a communicator. Never include a story just to include a story.

The reality is that for most activity descriptions, you don't have room for a story, even if you have one. For activity descriptions, you can include responsibilities -- or even better -- contributions, successes and times when you went above and beyond the norm as well as the very important insight into what you learned from the experience, how it influenced you, or why it's important to you.

You are more likely to be able to use a story -- assuming you have a good, relevant one -- in an MME or PS. And again, readers will want insight as to why the experience is important to you and why you think they should know about it. What did you learn? What does it say about you as a future med student and physician?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Pleeeeeeeeease don't. There is literally nothing in an application that annoys me more than opening up the activities list and seeing "GI shadowing, 6 hrs" followed by "I looked intensely into the patient's eyes as she vomited blood into the emesis basin...." I understand people are told to "show don't tell" but it does not have to be this big drama thing, and I often see these types of narrative descriptions happening at the expense of actually saying what the experience was and what you learned. "I shadowed a gastroenterology physician and had the opportunity to observe clinic appointments, hospital rounding, and endoscopies. This helped me understand XYZ." It does not have to be flowery or attention grabbing. I think the furthest I would go in including a story would be something like "I spent two summers volunteering at XYZ Free Clinic. Many of the patients were Spanish speaking and low income, and this helped me learn the importance of cultural competence in medicine. In particular, there was one patient who (1-2 sentence story). Watching her experience navigating the care system showed me _." Keep it simple, practical, and meaningful.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Thank you for all your advice! It looks like the general consensus is not to include stories but to include what you learned from an experience in w/a. I also want to note that even in my p/s, my stories are not dramatic as I'm a pretty straightforward writer so no worries there. I might include one in my mme for clinical experience but nowhere else.

Reactions: 2 users